Headphones under $275 and amp talk
Oct 18, 2012 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

domthebigbomb

New Head-Fier
So I am own a pair of bose qc2 and beat studio/solo. I also own a pair of ism klispch s4i's.

I am looking for a really nice pair of headphones in the 250ish price range. I listen to a lot trance music but there my fair share of classical, mainstream, etc...
From what I have read, the Sennheiser hd598 are supposedly pretty good? Any suggestions or comments?

Also just how much does amping improve audio quality/affect listening. After reading through a lot of forums, it seems most "serious" listeners have an amp of some sort. Are they necessary?

Thanks!

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
So I am own a pair of bose qc2 and beat studio/solo. I also own a pair of ism klispch s4i's.

I am looking for a really nice pair of headphones in the 250ish price range. I listen to a lot trance music but there my fair share of classical, mainstream, etc...
From what I have read, the Sennheiser hd598 are supposedly pretty good? Any suggestions or comments?

Also just how much does amping improve audio quality/affect listening. After reading through a lot of forums, it seems most "serious" listeners have an amp of some sort. Are they necessary?

Thanks!

Well of course amps arent NECESSARY, but they do change the sound signature tremendously ( in a good way) For example, I have Sennheiser HD 439's with Fiio e11 amp and L9 LOD and it makes such a difference..I get so much more out of my music. but for $250 you can get something much better. you should take a look at the Ultrasone HFI series. from 580 to 780..might be what youre looking for. Heres a link:

http://ultrasone.com/stores/us/Ultrasone-HFI-8/#8

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Oh i see now. How does the sound quality of those compare to that of the hd 598's
Also would you say that the fiio e11 are worth $50?

Closed back vs open back headphones sound is different. Usually open backs have better soundstage and bass is not as strong as closed headphones (some open backs have good bass though) 

I'd take a look at the Ultrasone Pro series such as the PRO550 and up. They may do well with your genres. 

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Closed back vs open back headphones sound is different. Usually open backs have better soundstage and bass is not as strong as closed headphones (some open backs have good bass though) 

I'd take a look at the Ultrasone Pro series such as the PRO550 and up. They may do well with your genres. 

Yea I remember reading about that somewhere and how open backs will leak more in and out but the soundstage is more 'truer' or something. I meant the actually quality of sound. Like something of Ed Sheeran esque (vocals and acoustic guitar). Still ultrasones over sennheisers?

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 7
The 598's are nice performers on classical, orchestras and such genres. I notice you like a lot of trance that's why i recommend the ultrasone Pro, they are closed headphones with a wide soundstage and bass. 

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
The 598's are nice performers on classical, orchestras and such genres. I notice you like a lot of trance that's why i recommend the ultrasone Pro, they are closed headphones with a wide soundstage and bass. 

Yea that is a good observation but most of the time I listen to trance i just feed the line to my klispch promedias cause i like being immersed in the bass XD.
I just want whatever I could listen to the best 'quality' of audio for the price. How do the ultrason hfi-780 compare to the 2400?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back