Headphones under $150 that will compete with top end headphones?
Mar 18, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #16 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume a Grado SR60 competes with the level of sound quality of an unamped/portable amped AKG K701.

First off, the Alessandro MS-1(i) is a better cheap Grado option than a SR-60(i), for the money. And, second, the AKG K701/702 was never intended to run off a portable unit/without an amp. That is a meaningless, unfair comparison to make. I would recommend the MS-1(i) over the HD-25-1 II for sound quality and NOT isolation or build strength. The Sennheiser is a great can, but does not touch the detail or even the soundstage of the Alessandro. Its MSRP ($199) is also approx. 2x that of the entry-level 'Gradosandro' ($99-$109).

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #17 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp_zer0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your best bet would be the AD900 in the FS forum right now IMO.

(MS1 is pretty crappy BTW.)

That's a rather off-base, ridiculous and unfounded comment to make.
confused.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #18 of 93
Quote:

Your best bet would be the AD900 in the FS forum right now IMO.

(MS1 is pretty crappy BTW.)

Just no.

AD900s are good for about 3 types of music, and those are classical, jazz and blues, and I suppose acoustic (ok, 4 types, sue me). They are some of the least flexible headphones out there and aren't even the best at their price for what they are good at.

Outside of the high end ATs (W5000 and W1000X, both of which are love em or hate em headphones), and the L3000, most AT headphones are not worth their price and can easily be beaten by different cans in their price range for different types of music.

The MS1s are far better than the AD900s, and yes I have heard both. The AD900s were only better for classical due to soundstaging.

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #19 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a rather off-base, ridiculous and unfounded comment to make.
confused.gif

Unfounded? I own a pair.
rolleyes.gif
Completely worthless can, don't use them for anything.

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #21 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just no.

AD900s are good for about 3 types of music, and those are classical, jazz and blues, and I suppose acoustic (ok, 4 types, sue me). They are some of the least flexible headphones out there and aren't even the best at their price for what they are good at.

Outside of the high end ATs (W5000 and W1000X, both of which are love em or hate em headphones), and the L3000, most AT headphones are not worth their price and can easily be beaten by different cans in their price range for different types of music.

The MS1s are far better than the AD900s, and yes I have heard both. The AD900s were only better for classical due to soundstaging.

You seem to avoid cans with good mid-range, maybe you have some sort of auditive dysfunction.

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #22 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you should be selling them and not owning them, then.

I'm in the process of doing that. wanted to wait until I get my Audio-GD FUN to give a final verdict on them.

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #26 of 93
Quote:

You seem to avoid cans with good mid-range, maybe you have some sort of auditive dysfunction.

And you seem to have a completely distorted idea of what good midrange is, because that's exactly what the D5000 and HF2s have to a degree.

The D5000s have one of the most lush, involving midranges of any headphones anywhere, the only problem is that when you aren't listening to acoustic music where midrange is prevalent, the midrange and highs are lost in the bass, which is exactly why I'm selling my pair. But if you're listening to vocals or acoustic guitar and vocals, or really anything non-electronic, they have a fantastic midrange, it's just a matter of being able to hear it.

The HF-2s have the signature midrange that Grados are renowned for, which, while not lifelike, is one of the most engaging midranges out there. But even though the HF-2s may not have a lifelike midrange, the AD900s sure as hell don't have a lifelike midrange either.

The AD900s are a mediocre headphone at best that are good at only a few things, and is not even the best in it's price range at the things it does well. I realize you're just trying to defend your favorite headphone, but I think you'll find that the vast majority (i.e. damn near every single person on this forum who's heard quality headphones) will disagree with you.

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #27 of 93
We can all do without the MS-1 fanboyism, guys. Had the ms-1, it was fine and dandy, ended up preferring the mdr-v6. So kill me.

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #28 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you seem to have a completely distorted idea of what good midrange is, because that's exactly what the D5000 and HF2s have to a degree.

The D5000s have one of the most lush, involving midranges of any headphones anywhere, the only problem is that when you aren't listening to acoustic music where midrange is prevalent, the midrange and highs are lost in the bass, which is exactly why I'm selling my pair. But if you're listening to vocals or acoustic guitar and vocals, or really anything non-electronic, they have a fantastic midrange, it's just a matter of being able to hear it.

The HF-2s have the signature midrange that Grados are renowned for, which, while not lifelike, is one of the most engaging midranges out there. But even though the HF-2s may not have a lifelike midrange, the AD900s sure as hell don't have a lifelike midrange either.

The AD900s are a mediocre headphone at best that are good at only a few things, and is not even the best in it's price range at the things it does well. I realize you're just trying to defend your favorite headphone, but I think you'll find that the vast majority (i.e. damn near every single person on this forum who's heard quality headphones) will disagree with you.

I'm not defending anything. I have stated my opinion that MS1 is trash and that recessed mids do not belong on high-end headphones. You can push bigotry and try to mount people against me but it doesn't change the fact that we are simply two people with a disagreement.

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #29 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhancakes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We can all do without the MS-1 fanboyism, guys. Had the ms-1, it was fine and dandy, ended up preferring the mdr-v6. So kill me.

I don't really even like the MS-1s, I just far prefer them over the AD900s. There are much better headphones under $150 than the MS-1 IMO, but they still don't compare with high end cans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hurryup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will a Stax SR 404 do it?

Well if you were to find an SR404 under $150 I'd be amazed, and even if you did you'd have to pay $200+ for an amp to power them, and with an electrostat amp that cheap chances are even though you're well over budget you aren't going to be competing with high end cans.

Quote:

I'm not defending anything. I have stated my opinion that MS1 is trash and that recessed mids do not belong on high-end headphones. You can push bigotry and try to mount people against me but it doesn't change the fact that we are simply two people with a disagreement.

And I, as well as multiple others before me, (so don't tell me I'm trying to mount people against you) have stated the opinion that you are wrong. You're certainly entitled to your opinion but I'm just saying you'll find that you are far outnumbered by people who disagree completely.

I agree that recessed mids do not belong on high end headphones such as the D5000s, and that is precisely why I am selling mine, but that does not mean that they have "bad" mids, it just means they have recessed mids. If you listen to them with a vocal or acoustic track, you will find that you are horribly wrong if you honestly think that the mids of the D5000 are bad at this point in time. They are far superior to the mids of the AD900s when considering both how engaging they are, as well as how natural and accurate they are.

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #30 of 93
Instead of opting for a headphone amplifier you could go for an integrated stereo amplifier or a receiver if you know how to make the connections. A lot of good old gear is being dumped as I'm writing this now. My CD690 cost me 20 euros and it's already replaced my PC for listening to music and powers the AKG K240 DF, pretty nice...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back