Headphones under 150$ and sound card
May 11, 2015 at 11:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ExMich

New Head-Fier
So for now i got the razer kraken pro, but I didn't like them to much bass and the music is just bad.
I am seraching for good headphones for under 150$ (prefer open headphones).
And a sound card/usb amp for under 100$.

Sorry if there is some problems with english it's not my native language.

May 11, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 9
You can make the 558 sound pretty similar to the 598 with this simple mod: http://www.headfonia.com/sennheisers-new-hd558-and-hd598/3/

A Soundblaster Z or Fiio E10K would easily power the HD558/HD598. The Soundblaster Z would have virtual surround for movies and gaming.

May 12, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 9
558 is good (if you do the foam mod to them), but not great.  To me, even with the foam mod, they sound like someone is smearing vaseline over the notes and killing the detail.  

It's hard to give opinions on what headphone to get if your country has high prices for them or maybe doesn't have them at all.  If you can order off the internet, that would open up your options, and probably be cheaper.

I wouldn't worry about getting a sound card until you decide what headphone you want since many of them won't need an amp.  If you can get a Xonar DG or DGX, that's good for better sound, and should be cheap, and does also have a decent (but not great) amp in it.

May 12, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 9
You can make the 558 sound pretty similar to the 598 with this simple mod: http://www.headfonia.com/sennheisers-new-hd558-and-hd598/3/

A Soundblaster Z or Fiio E10K would easily power the HD558/HD598. The Soundblaster Z would have virtual surround for movies and gaming.

558 is good (if you do the foam mod to them), but not great.  To me, even with the foam mod, they sound like someone is smearing vaseline over the notes and killing the detail.  

It's hard to give opinions on what headphone to get if your country has high prices for them or maybe doesn't have them at all.  If you can order off the internet, that would open up your options, and probably be cheaper.

I wouldn't worry about getting a sound card until you decide what headphone you want since many of them won't need an amp.  If you can get a Xonar DG or DGX, that's good for better sound, and should be cheap, and does also have a decent (but not great) amp in it.

and what about the hd518 ?

May 12, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #7 of 9
and what about the hd518 ?

I don't think much of the 558 without the foam mod, not at its typical price anyway, and if the 518 is worse than the non-modded 558....

I've never heard the 518 though.  I'm just assuming it has worse sound quality than the 558.  I've seen plenty of people say it's worse.

May 12, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 9

I don't think much of the 558 without the foam mod, not at its typical price anyway, and if the 518 is worse than the non-modded 558....

I've never heard the 518 though.  I'm just assuming it has worse sound quality than the 558.  I've seen plenty of people say it's worse.

any other headphones ?

May 12, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #9 of 9
I have the HD518 and HD598, and while I do find the 598 to be better overall with superior detail, immersion (including soundstage), and neutrality, I still feel the 518 holds its own at times, especially considering the price. They're a bit bassier and the soundstage is a bit flat, but they're still decently refined and might be more suitable for some music because of the increased lower frequency volume and punchiness and drier presentation. I still wouldn't call them basshead phones, though.

I think the HD518 gets a bunch of undeserved flak, likely because its predecessor, the HD515, was poorly received.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back