Headphones under $100?
Apr 4, 2012 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

LordSnail123

Head-Fier
I'm looking for headphones for classical music (mainly orchestral & cello, a bit of violin) under $100. I will listen to them off of my computer's onboard sound with a Sony STR-DH500 that I found around my house. I'm considering the Shure SRH440 or Sennheiser 448. Are there any better choices for headphones for this purpose?

Apr 4, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 8
AKG K240 have a nice mid-range.
Might find some used ones on eBay for a good price.

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 8
On ebay, wouldn't you have a higher risk of buying a counterfeit though? And also, is the cello a low-end or mids instrument? Sorry I don't know much, I just joined today
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
On eBay, wouldn't you have a higher risk of buying a counterfeit though? And also, is the cello a low-end or mids instrument? Sorry I don't know much, I just joined today
bigsmile_face.gif

Counterfeits seem to be coming from China.
If you wanted to save a few dollars get the Superlux HD-681 or Samson SR850 (made by Superlux).

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 8
People only counterfeit the popular and well known headphones, like beats, bose, and a few audio technica and sony models. If you're looking to buy shure, sennheiser, or akg's off ebay you can be fairly certain its real.

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 8
With orchestral music, many listeners like a slightly warm, slightly bassy sound. Lush mids are also a requirement. For that, the aforementioned K240 is a great choice, especially for the price. Another option to consider is a Shure SRH440 (which you have listed) if you want a more technical, analytical sound. It won't be as involving or passionate towards the music, but you'll get more details out of it.

Apr 4, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
With orchestral music, many listeners like a slightly warm, slightly bassy sound. Lush mids are also a requirement. For that, the aforementioned K240 is a great choice, especially for the price. Another option to consider is a Shure SRH440 (which you have listed) if you want a more technical, analytical sound. It won't be as involving or passionate towards the music, but you'll get more details out of it.

Thanks, I'll take this into consideration when I buy some new headphones (my first half-decent ones) later. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back