Headphones under $100, well-rounded
Mar 4, 2012 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

marceldalagnol

New Head-Fier

Hi everybody,

I'm new at this, so I'm not used to the jargon, but I'll try my best to be accurate =) I tried posting in the topic specific for these matters, but it eventually got lost in the middle of other discussions so I'll try making a new thread.
I'm looking for headphones preferrably in the $60-80 price range, but willing to spend up to $100 if it makes a big difference. I've looked around the forum and narrowed my choices to a few models (but any suggestion is more than welcome). I usually listen to rock/metal and classic, sometimes dubstep. So I'd like to buy an all-rounded pair, with good bass, but a trade-off between bass and  mid-high frequencies is preferred to something with very good bass only. Noise isolation makes a big difference, but noise cancellation is not necessary. I'm willing to buy new or used.
So, these are the models I've seen:

Audio-Technica TAD400
M-Audio Studiophile Q40
Sennheiser HD-280 PRO
Sennheiser HD-203
Samson SR850

Thanks a lot for your help!

Mar 4, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 8
If you have the cash, the Q40 is a very good headphone. The (amazing)bass can be overpowering at times, but its fairly easy to tame with EQ. Otherwise I'd get the Superlux 681, which is basically the Samson 850, but it's $36 on Amazon at the moment.

Personally I prefer my 850s more for classical, but Q40s generally beat them in any other genre for me atleast.

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #4 of 8
Yeah, if I buy the Q40 it'll be used, if it makes a big difference I guess it'll be worth it.
Anyone else? So, you mean headphones in the $40-80 range wouldn't be worth over the 850? I am willing to spend more than $36.

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #5 of 8
I would recommend the Philips Citiscape Downtown, priced at an even $100 on Amazon. They are VERY good and natural sounding. Many people said they were the best value and best sounding headphone for $100 at CES 2012. (If you don't know what CES is it is a electronics show where headphone/music enthusiasts go to see companies showcase their lineup for the year. Check the Citiscape Downtown's out.

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 8

Wow, I kind of want a pair of these. Or the Uptowns. They look gooooooodd
Quote:
I would recommend the Philips Citiscape Downtown, priced at an even $100 on Amazon. They are VERY good and natural sounding. Many people said they were the best value and best sounding headphone for $100 at CES 2012. (If you don't know what CES is it is a electronics show where headphone/music enthusiasts go to see companies showcase their lineup for the year. Check the Citiscape Downtown's out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back