Headphones to pair with Chord Mojo - On or Over-ear
Oct 4, 2016 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

LaMosca

New Head-Fier
All,

Quick intro, mid-40s with slight tinnitus and recent purchase of Chord Mojo after many years out of the audio hobby. Primary listening is from computer via Mojo to headphones. Current 'phones are Harmon-Kardon BTs via wired connection. I like a wide variety of music. I wear glasses and listen while working for much of the day (typically 6-8 hours a day). I work in my unfinished basement so there are ambient noises (AC or heat, water heater, etc), but nothing too loud (the sound of my son playing upstairs is typically louder and more interrupting than the other noises). Since the environment is fairly noise-free, I would certainly consider open headphones in addition to closed.

I'm looking for recommendations for on-ear or over-ear headphones with a very balanced presentation/flat frequency response. I can't stand things in my ears, thus the on-ear or over-ear requirement. I value soundstage, focus (instrument placement, size, weight) and timbre. I like my treble non-sibilant. For reference, my normal speakers are Eminent Technology LFT-6s (full-range planar magnetic), although these aren't hooked up at this time due to lack of space (will go into a more dedicated audio/theatre room when the basement is finished).

Unfortunately, I don't have an audiologist report of my current state of hearing, I wish I did and may be something I look into having done.

Budget: This is the tough one. I'm thinking roughly $400-$700 range. I would consider used (from reputable sources of course) as well, so that may open things up a bit further.

Comfort: Need to be comfortable for 6-8 hours with glasses. My head is on the small side.

Not so many reviews of my current cans (HK BTs), which I picked up for $150 refurbished on Amazon in late 2014:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/618210/harman-kardon-bt-first-impressions
http://www.head-fi.org/products/harman-kardon-bt

Some possible targets just from my reading of the Mojo thread:

Audioquest Nighthawks
Beyerdynamic T1 gen 1, wondering about the 8k treble "blip"
Sennheiser HD600/650
HiFiMan HE-400i
HiFiMan HE-560

I'm sure there will be many others that people can recommend.

Any other questions that I should answer that would help people to make recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Oct 4, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 15
One I'm enjoying at the moment and ticks a lot of your boxes is the Koss ESP-950. It's a E Stat and has a very well rounded presentation and you hardly know they are on your head. The HD-6xx's are not that great at soundstage but the 600 is very neutral . The T-1 is much better for soundstage but they are a bit on the bright side close to my HD-700's. I don't have a problem with it and they are very good. I have not heard the 400i yet I have the 400 and 400S though I think you would like the 400S more than 400 as the 400 is a bit more bright but to me more in the fun zone when I feel like it. I think from what I've read the 400i is closer to the 400S than the 400's. The Nighthawk's just aren't for me they are just a bit too dark but you might like them I've only heard them a couple of times so I can't say much more about them. This is just my two cents and YMMV good luck.

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 15
The Sennheiser HD600 is the most comfortable thing I've tried. It's light, and you can modify the pressure to your liking. The sound is very relaxing and non-fatiguing. It is exactly the sort of headphone I'd recommend for all-day use.

With the Mojo it ought to create a slightly warm, and tremendously smooth sound.

Nov 11, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #4 of 15
up For this same dilemma any more suggestions? 
o2smile.gif
dt880smile.png

Nov 22, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #5 of 15
  up For this same dilemma any more suggestions? 
o2smile.gif
dt880smile.png

Some interesting developments since I started looking ...

HIFIMAN HE-400i is now on sale for $250 (you can actually get them for $224.10 from HeadAmp.com, http://www.head-fi.org/t/826352/headamp-holiday-deals-rolling-annoucements )
Audioquest Nighthawks price dropped to $350

I'm leaning towards the HE-400i myself now (it's a great deal).

Nov 22, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #8 of 15
With the HE-400i, looks like one will also need a female 1/4" to male 1/8" adapter such as this:  https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001DK1ZVO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=267C7PH7HFXZ3&coliid=I2RGL0KZ137TRY&psc=1

This is incorrect as pointed out later by buke9. Per the manual, the cable is terminated in a 1/8" plug and a 1/4" adapter is included. Thanks for the correction!

Nov 22, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #9 of 15
Nov 22, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #10 of 15
The HE-400S and 400's came with a 1/8" terminated cable does the 400i's come with 1/4"? Just checked it comes with 1/8" with a 1/4" adapter.

I didn't look closely enough at the manual, thanks for the correction and I will go amend my prior post as well.

From the manual:

• Headphone Cable (1.5 meter or 4.9 Feet; 3.5mm plug)
• 1⁄4”(6.35mm) headphone adapter 

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #14 of 15
I ended up ordering both. If I really like the HD650s, I might return them and wait for another Massdrop of the HD6xxs to save a lil coin. Also signed up for the AKG K7xx Massdrop, so I'll have headphones galore lol. I also wanna try out the HiFiMan HE400S. I feel like it's all pretty low risk since I can return everything after testing for a month. I'll come back here to let everyone know what I end up liking the most!

Jan 27, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #15 of 15
Sorry to bump this old topic but I had similar problem: what to pair with Mojo to retain warm sound and I confirm that HD600 are great fit for Mojo anytime. Eventually an amp may be desired just like already stated.

What I had tried lately are: Ultrasone PRO 1480i (open) and PRO 900i (closed). After really long and tough decision process I went with 900i not only because of SQ but also due to fact that they are closed so can be used in multiple environments. However if you like open ones I still recommend HD600. With 1480i I had some ergonomic problem but this is obviously very personal opinion, still you have to hear them before you decide since there is a difference between those and HD600. It is not a night and day difference but still one that some may consider valuable. Mind that HD600 are currently cheaper from 900i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back