Headphones to complement the HD 600
Feb 10, 2017 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

michael0408

New Head-Fier
Hello people,

currently I am owning just the HD 600's, all other heaphones that I bought to test were sent back by me because they didn't feel right (MSR7, TH-X00). The MSR7 sounded nice the first time I tried them but their treble is just fatiguing und the TH-X00 were dark sounding with too much bass for my taste. Right now I am just looking to find headphones that complement my HD600 and I accepted that the Sennheiser cannot be beaten that easy soundwise. Now I am searching for something that has a similar sound signature as the HD 600, maybe a little more low end, without any fatiguing and very comfortable. They don't need to be that expensive and I have been looking at three headphones that might fit: AKG 712 pro, Philips Fidelio X2, Fostex T50rp (with different pads). If you have different options at the price point of <400€ then let me please know which one and why.

Tanks for your answers

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #2 of 5

Right now I am just looking to find headphones that complement my HD600 and I accepted that the Sennheiser cannot be beaten that easy soundwise. Now I am searching for something that has a similar sound signature as the HD 600, maybe a little more low end, without any fatiguing and very comfortable.

If you have different options at the price point of <400€ then let me please know which one and why.

Save your money and install this:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

Then input this:
Variable Mode
25hz = +6dB
35hz = +4dB
45hz = +2dB
3500hz = -2dB
7500hz = -4dB

And then if your pads are worn out anyway, buy the Brainwavz HM5 angled hybrid pads, gut the old HD600 pads, and then mount the HM5 pads onto the plastic mounting rings which will then allow them to be mounted onto the earcups.

Feb 11, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #4 of 5
  Would the Brainwavz be really better than the original ones soundwise? Or will this be a downgrade because many people say that the original pads are the best.

On the angled Brainwavz pads the cymbals are pushed back farther and closer to the center closer to where they're supposed to be (unless you prefer thinking of the drummer being Mr. Fantastic with his stretchy arms). Bass is more even - you probably lose a little bit of the hard kick but you can hear more of the lower bass in the overall tone of the bass notes.

Plus they're half the price of the original pads and seem to resist wear a little bit better. They don't feel as squished as the original pads when I've had them as long as these.

Feb 12, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 5
HD650.  It's OK to own both - no one will mock you.  Touch more bass with that Senn sig as clean as spring water.  Why stray from what you like.  If it's a dramatic move you want, go planar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back