Headphones to complement HD 800
Jul 2, 2014 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

imp96

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I currently have HD 800 alongside some other cheaper headphones and I am looking to buy another flagship to have another good headphone with a different sound signature.
Currently I am thinking of buying Audeze LCD X/3 or Hifiman HE 560/6. I am wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions or ideas for other headphones out there. I am looking for headphones that will sound good with rock and 90's pop. I was also considering ed 12 and k812 but I am not sure how close they are to HD 800. Any suggestions or recommendations are welcome.
Edit: I have burson conductor and Wa5 (w/ parts upgrade)

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 18
What are you looking for in sound signature with rock/90s pop? Also you good on mobile solution? Maybe solve that as well if need be.

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 18
Obviously look at lcd3, but also check out a broken in lcdx. The X's have less bass than lcd3 for a more seemingly balanced sound. But the x's have a more exciting sound in my opinion that is great for rock. The hifiman have great midrange. What amp are you using? The issue with all these planar is that to get good performance, you need decent amp to extremely powerful amp depending on the phones.

Also, the th900 is a dynamic with a great voicing for rock so whatever is driving your hd800 should drive th900 easily. Also check out high end grado phones. They aren't for me and I wouldn't describe them as neutral. But some love the grado house sound and that house sound works well with rock. Have to think a little more.

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 18
Thanks for your suggestions. I have the conductor and wa5 (w/ parts upgrade). As for Grado's, I heard the Ps 1000 and was disappointed by the sound quality and the fit/build quality.

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 18
Do you have a dedicated headphone amp already?  The LCD3s/X and HE series require a hefty wattage to drive 'em correctly.  The Fostex TH900/Denon7K are more easier to drive; a decent amp would make them sound great. 

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #8 of 18
Wouldn't recommend the K812 as cans that will complement the HD800s.  I have no idea about edition 12s or hifi man but I'd say non-fazor LCD-2s would be great as far as being polar opposites of HD800s and not being crazy basshead cans, still plenty of detail and great tonality that will make those genres and badly mastered songs that the HD800s tear apart at least sound good.  

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #14 of 18
Thanks for your suggestions. I have the conductor and wa5 (w/ parts upgrade). As for Grado's, I heard the Ps 1000 and was disappointed by the sound quality and the fit/build quality.

With the WA5, you are good to go on all the phones including the HE-6.  If I was you, I would audition:
LCD 3
LCD X
TH900
HE-6

As for the LCD 2, you will like the LCD X or LCD 3 more (depending on what you don't like/like about the LCD 2).  Whether or not it is worth the extra tariff is the question.

For me, when I auditioned the HD800/LCD X/LCD 3/LCD 2 (all non fazor aside from X), I realized all the years of listening to Electrostats has tuned my ear to favor effortless midrange and fast coherent highs.  The HD800 might have been a bit too much of that even for me and the soundstage (at least when I was demoing) sounded artificially large and distracting except on full orchestras (and their ilk) where the HD800 soundstage ruled.  The LCD 3 was too bassy for my tastes (although I do want to reaudition them on my equipment), and the LCD 2 sounded like unrefined LCD 3 bass wise.

Jul 3, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #15 of 18
What about the 560, are they worth considering or are they over hyped? I have read a few review that suggest they are better the Audeze Lcd X. I don't think I will have the chance to audition them and don't want to gloss over them if they actually do live up to the hype. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back