Headphones to AV Receiver?
Mar 30, 2013 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

xD4rkFire

New Head-Fier
I found a "Denon AV Surround Receiver AVR-3803" in my garage the other day and I was wondering how'd they perform for computer audio. Right now I'm just using the onboard on my MSI Z77A GD65. This would be entirely focused on gaming, specifically FPS gaming. If it's even worth doing, how would I go about connecting all my audio devices together (headphones, computer, receiver) ?

Mar 30, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 7
Yes, this would give you an improvement using headphones. The receiver has these inputs: digital inputs: 5 optical, 2 coaxial so ideally your motherboard sound has an optical or coaxial spdif output port. You'd run a cable from it to the back of the receiver, then use the headphone port on the front and benefit from the better DAC and headphone amplifier in the receiver.

Mar 30, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 7
+1

An optical cable is not expensive, so it's worth trying: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Digital-Optical-Audio-Toslink/dp/B001TH7GSW/

That's all you need to connect your receiver to the computer.

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 7
I looked up my receiver and it turns out that it's pretty old (~10 years old). What I'm wondering is: is it still viable as an audio source, or has onboard audio come far enough to where the receiver is obsolete?

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #6 of 7
Some computer audio implementation is OK on motherboards; a lot is not. Then, depending on your headphones, either the computer or the receiver could be better because of their impedance.

Only way to know is to try use your ears and see what you like better. And what you like is all that matters anyway :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back