Headphones & The Speakers That Sound Like Them
Dec 4, 2001 at 5:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

shivohum

Keeper of the Quotes
Have any of you heard a speaker that sounded just like a certain headphone? For those of you with more extensive audiophile experience, do you feel that certain *classes* of speakers correspond to certain headphones?

For instance, I've always wondered if any of the headphones out there now have the "horn" sound that is now so adored by some audiophiles...

Dec 4, 2001 at 5:38 AM Post #3 of 9
V6s have similar qualites of some Klipsch's to my untrained ears... highs are that are bothersome to some people, just clear to others, nice impact/bass response, etc..

Dec 4, 2001 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by shivohum
Have any of you heard a speaker that sounded just like a certain headphone? For those of you with more extensive audiophile experience, do you feel that certain *classes* of speakers correspond to certain headphones?

For instance, I've always wondered if any of the headphones out there now have the "horn" sound that is now so adored by some audiophiles...

Stax's sound like Sound Labs, or Magnepans.

Dec 4, 2001 at 7:50 PM Post #5 of 9
I have always felt, that good dynamic headphones tend to sound like good single-driver speakers. There is an inherent musicality and homogenousness to both of them - probably stemming from the absence of cross-over circuits and frequency-specific drivers with necessarily different sonic properties.

And headphones can have insane amounts of low-level information due to their extreme efficiency. I am not talking about the much cited "detail", that, I feel, is very often related to the artificial and fatiguing emphasis of treble events. I am talking about accuracy at very low signal levels, ambience information and decay. This is something, that very efficient horn speakers can convey as well.

A certain headphone that sounds just like a certain speaker? I don't know. I don't think any headphone sounds quite like a speaker. There is room for comparison, however. I am quite impressed with the ease and impact of bass and the body and weight with which the Beyer DT 770 Pro conveys music. I have been similarly impressed with a German horn speaker once, called Dynavox 3.1. That's a two-way design with a rear-loaded and folded bass-horn and about 100dB/W/meter efficiency. A pair retails for about 30,000 Marks (that's roughly $14,000). In terms of impact, a very good bass horn towers so high above the competition that many audiophiles will be downright scared when listening to it. They just aren't used to it. I guess, the 770 Pros have a similar effect.

Dec 4, 2001 at 9:27 PM Post #6 of 9
...the Oris.

http://www.nickdangerous.com/personal/101801.htm

The Oris 200 project I am undertaking consists of:

Pioneer DVD 343 player CD source
ART DI/O w/Boldercables type II DAC & PS tweak
Bottlehead Foreplay w/C4S tweak
Bottlehead 2A3 Paramour monoblock amps tweaked
Lowther modified DX3 full-range drivers
BD Design Oris 200 horns
Vifa bass drivers
Parasound HCA-1000A bass driver power amplifier
Passive bass filter circuit
Onken cabinet kit w/Cardas binding posts
Equipment rack
Crystal magnet wire for all interconnects

The above items represent a complete, world-class, brand new, DIY, top-tier, explosively dynamic, fantastically detailed, horn-based audio system from source to eardrum that costs about $4500.

DIY'ers rejoice! A little elbow grease and about 4 large can slip you into face-to-face coffee-table chats with Orpheus, Stax, and Avantgarde users. The Oris is that good. Dr M. even jumped ship from the MUG forum on AA for the Oris... and HE was the founder of that group!

Enough said. For the money... "ain't nuthin' better".
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back