Headphones - The "next cool thing"
Mar 8, 2006 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Silentpug387

Head-Fier
My campus (University of Chicago) has always been anti-social so it was common to see a lot of kids walking around listning to their mp3 players. But they always had small, $20 and under circuit city-esque type headphones.

A year ago i told my friends in high school that i spent $230 on a pair of headphones and they said i was crazy. I tried to explain how it didn't make sense to spend 300 something bucks on a ipod, and not be able to HEAR the music. They wouldn't listen.

But over the last two weeks on my college campus I have noticed a dramatic decrease in the traditional white ipod earbuds and a huge increase in higher end headphones. Today, for example, I saw a slew of large silver sony and aiwa headphones, three or four kids with grado sr80's, and a kid riding the bus with a pair of sr325i's. Never before today had i even heard the word grado mentioned at my college. I sat down at lunch, and one of my classmates was talking about how she just bought a pair of Sony vdr-7000, and a kid talking about how she should have gotten sennheisers or grados.

As a logical progression from the ipod craze over the last few years, i think high-end headphones becoming the "next cool thing" in music hardware.

When i see Paris Hilton in some magazine shopping in beverly hills with a pair of k1000's i'll know i was right.

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #2 of 29
I have indeed seen a little "boom" on my college campus

Of course, my K1000s are still a little too extreme for them
biggrin.gif

A step at a time

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 29
My friends are like... why would you spend $50 on lose little tiny earbuds.

I'm like, Hey, they're IEM's and I like my music. I use them a lot and I like having the best. Seen my bike?

They just don't understand. But please, continue letting mommy and daddy buy you stupid ass stuff for your iTrend... I mean iPoo... iPod...

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 29
U of Chicago eh? I got rejected from there this year
frown.gif

eh, in hindsight, really not a place for me. I need a more "social" place with competition (I seem to perform well with competition). Now I am looking forward to Case Western Reserve (got in), Carnegie Mellon (waiting to hear), and Haverford (waiting to here). But enough of that...

When my friend and I told other kids that we dropped 300 for the Shure E4's, they were all like "stupidest decision ever".

Now, they are envious. No one has listened to them, but they all compliment and tell both my friend and I how luck we are...

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #6 of 29
Hmm? What school or area are you in that you see so many Grados? HF-U?
tongue.gif

I never see that many high end phones walking the streets of NYC. Although I did see some huge headphones on a girl. I'm inspired to wear my bigones.

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

As a logical progression from the ipod craze over the last few years, i think high-end headphones becoming the "next cool thing" in music hardware.

Nah. Regular people aren't that crazy.
wink.gif

Besides, that would annoy all the "I'm special and better than others cause I use high-end phones" peeps. I can imagine them going back to crud stock just to be "different".

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #8 of 29
Sorry to say this, but the only boom I'm seeing is in triports...though it seems to have stopped now. Nothing besides that you can't get at target though.

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #9 of 29
This must be a fairly isolated phenomenon, cause I see more and more of those iconic little white buds everyday.

Seems as though most people would rather advertise that they own an iPod than actually enjoy the music coming out of it.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #11 of 29
Yeah here at rutgers i've seen one pair of grado's, one pair of senns, and tons of sonys, triports, and QC2s. Just today someone noticed my porta pro's and told me "if you really want nice headphones, you should check out the quiet comfort 2. Amazing!"

For months i've been askin my friends to count how many ipods they see on the bus and then count how many feet are tappin or heads are bobbin. There's a huge disparity. My experience: maybe one of every twenty kids with an mp3 player is enjoying his or her music. not an exaggeration.

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #12 of 29
hmm my friends here I spend 900 and just laugh and say im crazy. If anything it prob encourges them to buy crappy headphones

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #13 of 29
I guess you guys are more on top of things in Chicago. Over here it seems like people are moving away from the iBuds, but still don't know where to go. iBuds still outnumber everything else, but I see some MDR-EX71's or occasionally full sized Sony cans. I've actually noticed a lot of PX100's and PX200's recently. The only real high-end stuff I've seen is a pair of DT250's (once) and some silver Grados (I see the kid walking around in them every other day).

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
Bleh, I figure that if my co-workers are happy listening to crappy headphones, who am I to interfere.

So true. A lot of the data entry clerks where I work wear headphones to keep from going insane, and they're all horrid.

I haven't seen any increase in nice headphones... but I do say there's a good chance they'll become more popular soon. If only the major retailers (Best Buy etc.) would start carrying cans worth buying, people might actually have some good sound quality without going out of their way, like we do.

I know that my Zen Xtra and KSC75s keep my feet tapping, though. I can't not move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back