Headphones that surprised you for its hungryness
Feb 21, 2018 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

LightDarkSonic

100+ Head-Fier
Got curious at what headphones ended up being more power hungry than you initially thought. When I bought my K612 I really enjoyed its sound but it really does push my E17 a little bit too far, thank god I bought my M2&M2 stack a little before this impulse buy, I wanted to be ready exactly for that and wanted a little improvement overall, I don't work yet but luckily I had some money on stock I received from family on my birthday, ended up blowing pretty much everything on these buys. Still... it goes to show how expensive it can be to climb up in this hobby...

In order from my most to least efficient headphone it goes like this: Yamaha Pro 400, HD 449, HD 598 and then really far from the rest is the K612, it's the only one that pretty much requires high gain on the Magni 2, it does work on low gain with some caveats: If you want to listen some music loud (not even that loud) you almost max ou even max out the volume pot depending on how loud is your source, and second, it definitely doesn't sound as nice.

So did you guys have experiences like that before?

FUN FACT:The 598 on low gain has pretty much the same volume as the K612 on high gain with both being in the same position on the volume pot, so I just need to flip the switch if I wanna use the other, also the other headphones are pretty close on the volume pot overall, the distance between the Pro 400 and the other two is larger than that between the other two, all work on portable just fine but the 598 gets an even weaker bass (its bass is a little light), the 449 works fine, but the Pro 400 is the only one that can get a good volume out of my 3DS and PSP though, it's still not as loud as I wanted it to be but it's enough, (the 3DS and PSP are god awful weak sources by the way) 3DS audio quality is garbage, the PSP despite both having having such weak amp is A LOT better, pretty good for its own good. The Pro 400 does have a tendency to get muddy when when the source is not ideal, so the HD 449 for not so underpowered sources is a solid option too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back