Headphones That Sound Like......
Jun 12, 2009 at 5:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

insanesanctum

Head-Fier
Posted this in the full-sized headphones sub-forum, but I didn't get a response and since I am looking for headphones that sound certain IEMs I thought it would be logical to try my luck here
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok, so I am in the market for a full sized headphone. I am used to listening to IEMs as you can see from my signature. I have a budget of under 200$ US, and the cheaper the better, also I am from Canada, so I have to consider things such as customs, duty, taxes and other such crap -_-

I listen to a a lot of indie rock and some rock, rap, hip hop. I also like ambient music, so I guess I listen to a wide variety of music. I love both bloc party and arcade fire, if that helps Sound signature wise, i'd be looking at something similar to my PFEs with grey filters on, with slightly louder bass, something like what I get from using an e5. Maybe a middle ground between my monster turbines and PFEs. Not as overly exaggerated like the turbines and not bass shy like the PFEs. I'd really like to keep the clarity, detail and the great mid's and treble of the PFEs. However I am looking for increased soundstage, as I would also be using these for movies, games in addition to listerning to music.

The headphones would have to be closed back, and not leak sound, which I guess also means that it should give decent isolation, as I will be using these at the office. I am open to any sort of suggestions, and will be even happier if there and any promotional deals or sales that any of you know of. The cheaper the better

I also have the sr60, but leak sound sound like no tomorrow, so i can't really use them. Preferably I would want relatively easily driven headphones, but if that is not possible with what I am looking for, I could also consider buying a portable amp/usb DAC much later on when I have the money. I hope there are headphones within my price range that can satisfy my needs, and I understand that there may not be anything out there that has everything I want but at this price range, I am willing to compromise on some aspects. Thanks again for all of your help and I look forward to your suggestions.

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 5
To me, AD700 is the closest full-size equivalent to the PFE with Grey Filters. Unfortunately, they're fully open, and their closed counterpart A700 apparently sounds nothing like it... too bad.

Strictly from reviews I've read, I think a lower tier AKG headphone might be to your liking and might be close to Phonak signature (and are closed/semi closed)... something like a K240 or K271. They're both Studio headphones that have emphasis on clarity/neutrality over bass/energy. Fairly cheap as well. Beware though that there are MANY versions of both of those headphones and you should do some review reading before you decide on any of them.

Jun 13, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #3 of 5
hmm, good suggestion, ill look into them, i know they are easy to drive too. Any more?

Jun 13, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #4 of 5
I have the AD900 on my head as we speak, and I find them alot brighter than the PFE's.
To the point they fatigue me a wee bit.

[edit]I'm waiting on a friend to bring along some HD600. Forgetting signature for a moment, people's experience with 'em kind of compare to mine with the PFE. They're a wee bit above your budget though (esp. since they 'need' an amp)[/edit]

Jun 14, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 5
hrm i see, im also interested in hearing about d2000 and ath esw9 as those have also been recommended to me. I definitely dont want anything brighter than the pfe though, so probably not the ad900

Users who are viewing this thread

Back