Headphones that sound like high-end KSC75??
Apr 20, 2007 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been spending a lot of time with my kramer modded ksc75 while my RS2s are in the shop. I have to say the sound is growing on me, I cant get enough of it. I still have not heard a KSC35, but I really want to. But anyway, I want to know, are there any headphones out there that sound like a high end kramer-modded KSC75? Taking all it's distinctive qualities and building on them, with more detail, clarity, speed and everything else.

No, it's not an HD6x0, K701 or even a grado. HD650 is to slow and veiled, K701 is just dry and boring, and grados are to light on bass and the highs can be fatiguing, and the midrange is not as forward.

The kramer modded KSC75 has just the right amount of bass, forward midrange, and the most stunning feature -- the highs. They sparkle and shine, but never cause me listening fatigue.

Any suggestions? I am perfectly open to more obscure headphones that aren't talked about to much here, so don't feel hesitant to suggest something because it does not get a lot of attention.

Apr 20, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 67
DT990?

Apr 20, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 67
003, finding a more refined KSC75 was my inspiration for getting into head-fi. I have had the MS1, 501, 770/80, 990 (05), 580 and 225 and the closest I have found is probably the MS1. Senn, AKG and Beyer are not even close to being similar in sound of the Koss. The MS1 is probably the closest I have heard. This week while I was working on my amp I have been listening to my 75 staright out of my DAP and can listen for hours. So maybe try and MS1 or 2 of you haven't already.

Apr 20, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 67
MS1... I'll keep that in mind... Also, right now budget does not matter, nor does open vs. closed or anything else. All I want is a more refined KSC75. What about headphones like the L3000, PS1, HP1 (HP2, HP3, dont know the difference), SR-200, and others that are either expensive or not talked about much?

Apr 20, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #7 of 67
I guess it goes without saying, but for slightly higher priced stuff; the well talked about MS2i, of course.
plainface.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #8 of 67
It's been said, but I'll back it up.

Some time ago, when I picked up a pair of KSC75s for a friend, i gave them a good testing. I thought they sounded quite like my MS1s, an MS1-lite, if you will. Less detail, but very comparable characteristics, IMHO.

Apr 20, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #9 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MS1... I'll keep that in mind... Also, right now budget does not matter, nor does open vs. closed or anything else. All I want is a more refined KSC75. What about headphones like the L3000, PS1, HP1 (HP2, HP3, dont know the difference), SR-200, and others that are either expensive or not talked about much?

not trying to threadcrap, but i really admire that you can actually afford some of those esoteric headphones. i think that my rig is pretty impressive for my age but crap, you're loaded.

carry on. good luck with your search, 003, i hope you find your uber-ksc75!

Apr 20, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #10 of 67
just curious why no one mentions the mv-1 in that is koss's high end
phone is it because the sound signature is totally different i noticed
the price is not exceptionally high.

Apr 20, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #11 of 67
I have said on multiple occasions that to my ears the Ergo 2 is like a grown up version of the KSC75, where the HD650 is the grown up PX100.

Id be interested to know if the other Ergo 2 owners would concur with this though.

Apr 20, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #12 of 67
I never said I could afford them! I just want to know what I should be saving for! I would have a lot of selling of equipment and saving before I could afford an L3000!

I have a lot of very rare and valuable vintage computer equipment I could sell if I needed a big mound of cash but before I ever did that I would want to demo the headphones first.

EDIT:
What is the Ergo 2? I have heard it mentioned before, but I don't know anything about it.

Apr 20, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #13 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never said I could afford them! I just want to know what I should be saving for! I would have a lot of selling of equipment and saving before I could afford an L3000!

I have a lot of very rare and valuable vintage computer equipment I could sell if I needed a big mound of cash but before I ever did that I would want to demo the headphones first.

EDIT:
What is the Ergo 2? I have heard it mentioned before, but I don't know anything about it.

precide ergo

duggeh is the only one with enough balls to use them.

edit: and no, the amps aren't just really small, you wear 'em like a helmet.

Apr 20, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #14 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edit: and no, the amps aren't just really small, you wear 'em like a helmet.

I can see Head-Fi Gladiator battles with Ergo helmets...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back