Headphones that make your mp3's sound great
Mar 8, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Grados are downright embarrassing in public (that is, until your typical Skullcandy wearer gets a taste of the sound). You'll probably want half-stylish closed headphones like the ones mostly already mentioned. If you don't mind bleeding sound and hearing your neighbor/bus, the KSC75 is a good non-ugly open clip-on that's fantastic for the price.

Are you turned off by the idea of sticking little IEMs into your ears?

I've actually always really liked the grado look. I'm not big into fashion, but the retro look really appeals to me. (that said, I DO have (and use) a stapler form the 1940s: Swingline #13)

As far as tolerating your low-bitrate files, I'd say the grados are pretty good. I head a 128 kb/s song once, and it sounded really great.

If you've ripped some of your music from CD, what bitrate was it? I rip twice (once as flac -> computer, and once OGG (highest quality) -> MP3 player) to make sure I have the best for my application (You can't really add quality back once it's lost). I think Itunes is usually 256 or so kilobytes/sec. I'd say that that bitrate is not that bad. Certainly 320 is preferable.

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dorkvader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've actually always really liked the grado look. I'm not big into fashion, but the retro look really appeals to me. (that said, I DO have (and use) a stapler form the 1940s: Swingline #13)

As far as tolerating your low-bitrate files, I'd say the grados are pretty good. I head a 128 kb/s song once, and it sounded really great.

If you've ripped some of your music from CD, what bitrate was it? I rip twice (once as flac -> computer, and once OGG (highest quality) -> MP3 player) to make sure I have the best for my application (You can't really add quality back once it's lost). I think Itunes is usually 256 or so kilobytes/sec. I'd say that that bitrate is not that bad. Certainly 320 is preferable.

Ya im pretty sure its 320 or better since the stuff I buy off itunes is 320. Anyways I think I like the senn hd-25-1-II other than that ive heard it doesnt have that great of a bass sound, more of a midrange set.

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #19 of 20
Are we talking with an MP3 player or MP3s from a PC to a DAC?

If we're talking PC to a DAC, just about every pair of headphones I've ever heard because all of my music is ripped in 320Kbps MP3 (1/2 the size of FLAC, I've never heard a dramatic difference between the two, the few times I've heard a difference it was EXTREMELY minor and required extensive A/B testing).

If we're talking low bitrate MP3s (below 192Kbps), then all the headphones I've heard under $250 that weren't mainstream (plus Beats). A few headphones above that pricepoint, specifically Denons and Grados, sound ok with 128kbps stuff, but they start to show the flaws quite noticeably.

If we're talking out of an MP3 player, cheap headphones and SR325i and below Grados.

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #20 of 20
If your wanting full size headphones then there's no question, you should get the Grado SR60i headphones. These are made to be listened to, not looked at. As far as fashion goes, it doesn't matter how pretty the phones are, it always looks odd seeing someone walking down the street with them on. Myself when I'm out and about I use my Koss Portapros, after a year and a half of burn in, they sound real nice, not as good as my Grados, but since I want to hear whats around me when I'm out on my bicycle, they're just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back