Headphones that have gotten sweeter with age?
Aug 31, 2022 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Lipton101

New Head-Fier
As I'm considering what to purchase for my second set of headphones, I can't help but to look back on my first pair... HD6XX, purchased June 15, 2018 when Drop was still Massdrop.

I feel like these cans have gotten better as time went on. Over these past 4 years, I've produced both and audio drama and an audio book with these headphones, I've played hundreds (ok, probably thousands) of hours of PC games with them and of course have listened to music when at my computer and not gaming or producing something. All with an E10K dac and Vali 2 headphone amplifier, purchased around that same time.

I recently purchased a Jotunheim 2 amp with the ES 9028 dac card along with a 4 pin balanced XLR cable and it's like they lit up again, showing a side I never knew possible in clarity and imaging. Though the earpads are worn and faded and there's a touch of what looks like rust on the grill of the right earpad, they otherwise have remained in excellent condition and have attained an emotional value to me.

Do you have any headphones like that? As I search for my next favorite set of cans, this is one question I realize I've never asked anybody.

Sep 1, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #2 of 2
Some headphones are known to scale very well with improved upstream gear, and the HD6xx is one of them.
If you really want to be blown away, grab a nice OTL amp for the 6xx and be amazed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back