Headphones that compliment eachother
Aug 24, 2005 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Puddleglum

100+ Head-Fier
Long ago I came to the conclusion that one pair of headphones would never be able to satisfy my diverse music listening needs. So began searching for sets of headphones that would compliment eachother to cover as much of the spectrum as possible. As a guidline, I try and divide my phones into complementary "soft"(for lack of a better term) headphones and "hard" headphones. Of course this isn't an exact process, just a guidline I try and stick to. While I have not heard most of these, I've read enough to catagorize them.

Examples:
Soft:
Senn HD580 series
AKG K501, K271
Beyer DT880

Hard:
Senn HD595
All Grados and all of their derivitives
Beyer DT770
Ultrasones
AKG K240

So what I really want to know, is that if you could only have two headphones cable of playback with virtually any kind of music, what would they be?

Aug 24, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #2 of 6
To your question, I don't know. I don't have experience with akg's and beyer's, and the like to know.

But you can't just pick a 'hard' and a 'soft' headphone. You have the 595 and grados listed together, but I think they are pretty polar opposites and actually complement each other nicely. When I had both the 595 and 325i, they sounded best with different music.

Aug 24, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #3 of 6
Hmmm...

Don't know, I can only say from my experience with my own cans.

MS2 - Rock, and all the other hard stuff with not so many musical instruments involved. (but not ALL rock)

Stax - Everything else.

Aug 24, 2005 at 11:42 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Puddleglum
Long ago I came to the conclusion that one pair of headphones would never be able to satisfy my diverse music listening needs.

Long ago I came to the conclusion that two pairs of headphones would never be able to satisfy my diverse music listening needs.
However, if I had to choose only two rigs:
Affordable:
Aqvox DAC/Egmont/Senn HE 60 for anything except
Benchmark DAC/Grado SR 225 for hardrock

Out of my reach:
Aqvox/Orpheus
Benchmark/Prehead II/Grado SR 225

And a K1000 and some decent IEMs, naturally.

Hey, they don't count, they both are no traditional headphones but earspaeakers respective in ears,
icon10.gif

Aug 24, 2005 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 6
Wow, this is a tough one, for a guy like me who hasn't had the opportunity to test any headphones other than the ones I buy. Since I have the HD650s and w1000s are on the way, my hope is the two are going to be the answer and compliment each other, considering the type of music I listen to.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back