headphones terminology
Jun 23, 2006 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

wibowo

New Head-Fier
okay.. i'm kinda new to audiophiles.. can someone explain these terms to me? i see alot of these terms used to describe "sound".

1. warm
2. bright
3. rich
4. thin
5. bleed
6. dark
7. balanced
8. detailed

that's all i remember right now.... thanks for the help

Jun 23, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 11
you really need some point of reference for these terms to mean anything. if youve only heard one headphone then its harder to understand the terms. they basically just mean what they say though. not that complicated really. just listen to as many headphones, amps, and music as you can and itll start making sense.

Jun 23, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by wibowo

warm sound? they keep my ears warm??

etysmile.gif
especially with hot music
tongue.gif

Jun 23, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 11
Ive never heard of the 'bleed' adjective before. But yeah they mean what they say in terms of sound...

Jun 23, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by wibowo
they mean what they say?? err... bleeding sound???

warm sound? they keep my ears warm??

They probably mean different things to different ears...I agree with Cousin Patty - listen to as many different headphones as you can and the terms will begin have meaning for you. In case it helps - the terms are tied to lows, mids, and highs. If the highs are more pronounced = bright. mids and lows recessed = thin. highs recessed = dark.

"detailed" is something you will really only experience with more expensive cans - I didn't have a reference for it until I heard the k601s - you just hear much more in the music. And this was coming from SR60s - fun cans, but not "detailed". Muddy, actually, in comparison to the K601s.

I don't know what bleed means, but I'm kind of glad I haven't experienced that yet (with headphones at least)
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 11
This link has definitions for a lot of the common terms:

http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/M...-glossary.html

though in practice many are used differently subject to the reviewers interpretation of the term, subjective view of neutral, personal experience (ie. assigning a negative connotation to a term that normally isn't construed to be negative, ex. bright instead of hot to express extremely exaggerated high frequencies), etc. .

Ant

Jun 23, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 11
Here are some that I got from this website. Very helpful.

1. Warmth: A listening term. The opposite of cool or cold. In terms of frequency, generally considered the range from approx. 150Hz-400Hz. A system with the "proper" warmth will sound natural within this range.

2. Bright: Listening term. Usually refers to too much upper frequency energy.

3. I don't know, I haven't ever really seen that term used here.

4. Transparency: Listening term. An analog that can be best "pictured" in photography. The more "transparent" the sound, the clearer the auditory picture. (I am pretty sure this is what you are talking about by "thin")

5. Leaking sound??? Others can hear the music you are playing on your headphones.

6. I honestly don't know that one myself.

7. Balanced: Referring to wiring: Audio signals require two wires. In an unbalanced line the shield is one of those wires. In a balanced line, there are two wires plus the shield. For the system to be balanced requires balanced electronics and usually employs XLR connectors. Balanced lines are less apt to pick up external noise. This is usually not a factor in home audio, but is a factor in professional audio requiring hundreds or even thousands of feet of cabling. Many higher quality home audio cables terminated with RCA jacks are balanced designs using two conductors and a shield instead of one conductor plus shield.

8. Just what it sounds like, you can here all parts of the music. (ie. you can hear all the instruments)

Jun 24, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #11 of 11
As the quote in my signature says, "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture".

It is often extremely tricky to actually express the characteristics of sound, as the english language does not have good enough words.

These words are just a few examples of the words that people use, almost as metaphors for the sound they are hearing. As you listen more, you'll pick up better what's actually being said about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back