Headphones similar to Sennheiser PX-100-II but closed
Nov 20, 2015 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

marcnn

New Head-Fier
I have the Sennheiser PX-100-II headphones and I must admit they sound very well. They have only one drawback: one has to have almost absolute silence all around to hear the music.

I'd like to buy myself headphones which will isolate me from the surroundings, to some extent at least (from example from the sound of the working fan or pouring water). I'd like them not to have worse sound quality then the sennheisers. I don't want to pay a fortune - I guess the absolute upper bound would be about 80$ / 60EUR.

I've already tried Superlux HD681B, but their sound was so crappy that I had to send them back. (Everything sounded bland, lifeless compared to the sennheisers, the bass was similar to the one in my laptop speakers)

Could you suggest something?

Thanks

/edit: I'd only like to add that I'm mostly listening to rock, metal and classical music.

Nov 20, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 15
Did you look at the Sennheiser PX200II? There is also the JVC HAS160 which is very inexpensive. I have the HAS160 and like it very much. It isn't as warm sounding as the PX100, which I also have. I don't have the PX200II. The PX200II though is generally liked. Sorry, I haven't heard the PX200 or PX200II myself. See if you can find reviews of the PX200II on Head-fi. For the price(around $12 in the US) the JVC HAS160 is a great buy. I would say its sound quality is slightly lower than the PX100, however it is around 1/4 of the price here.

Nov 25, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 15
Aren't you looking for a compact headphone? I thought you want something like the PX100 but closed. If you don't mind a larger headphone, there are many choices. 

Perhaps you should consider the JVC HA-S680 or HA-S500? 

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 15
Well, I don't really care about size. I should've been more precise. I want them to be similar to the px-100 sound quality-wise.

So you prefer a darker warmer sound rather than a brighter sound? To me the PX100 and Koss Porta Pro sound darker than I prefer. I prefer a more neutral sound, and also not something that is too bright sounding. What do you like about the PX100? The detail? The warmth? Larger closed headphones makes my ears overheat rather quickly. Smaller closed headphones like the JVC HAS160 are around the size of the PX100 and don't make my ears overheat that much. The smaller closed headphones though don't tend to isolate so much unless they have huge clamping force. Having some isolation though, perhaps halfway between the best isolation possible and no isolation might be the best compromise for certain situations.

Nov 26, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #9 of 15
Hmm, I wouldn't call the sound of px 100 ii as too dark for me. I really like their warmth besides, the depth of the sound. Basically - I like the way they sound

And I'm not listening to music long hours (rather often but for a short time), so overheating is not a very big concern. Besides, the over ear cans are more comfortable, aren't they

Nov 26, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #10 of 15
Hmm, I wouldn't call the sound of px 100 ii as too dark for me. I really like their warmth besides, the depth of the sound. Basically - I like the way they sound

And I'm not listening to music long hours (rather often but for a short time), so overheating is not a very big concern. Besides, the over ear cans are more comfortable, aren't they

The OPEN around the ear(circumaural) Sennheiser headphones(like the HD598,HD558, or HD518) are extremely comfortable for most people, however closed circumaural headphones tend to make my ears overheat within around 5 minutes or so. for others, it may take longer for their ears to get uncomfortably hot. Of course it depends on the temperature. Some use closed circumaural headphones outdoors in the winter instead of using ear muffs.

Nov 28, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #11 of 15
Well, I've just found that a shop nearby sells the following headphones discounted:
- Koss R 80 and R 90 for ~45EUR
- Koss UR 30 for ~30EUR

Would you recommend them? I'll be there in a couple of days so I'll be able to test them with my own ears but I'd like to know your opinion as well :wink:

Nov 28, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #12 of 15
Well, I've just found that a shop nearby sells the following headphones discounted:
- Koss UR 30 for ~30EUR

Would you recommend them? I'll be there in a couple of days so I'll be able to test them with my own ears but I'd like to know your opinion as well :wink:

Besides, another shop offers Kosses UR 50 and UR 40 for ~ 30 EUR, SB 49 for ~ 35EUR, SB40 and UR55 for ~40EUR and Audio-Technica ATH-T400 and AVC200 for similar prices.
Anything worth considering?

Nov 29, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #13 of 15
- Koss UR 30 for ~30EUR

I haven't heard these, although the reviews on these seem to be quite mixed. If you are considering a closed Koss headphone, then Imo you should consider one that has gotten much better reviews, such as the Pro DJ100 or Pro DJ200. In the US, on Amazon, the Pro DJ100 is only $52. I don't know about European pricing. At that price and due to the great reviews and following it has on Head-fi, it seems like a great deal. I haven't heard it myself though.

Nov 29, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #14 of 15
Well, the Koss Pro DJ 100 are there for about $70, so a little more than the Sennheiser PX-200-II and HD 439 (they go for $60). And have only one year of warranty (after this period you have to pay $10 for the repair)
Is it still worth the price? As I said, I like the darkness of the PX-100-II

Besides, the mentioned JVC's HA-680 and HA-500 are not available in my country.

Nov 30, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #15 of 15
  Well, the Koss Pro DJ 100 are there for about $70, so a little more than the Sennheiser PX-200-II and HD 439 (they go for $60). And have only one year of warranty (after this period you have to pay $10 for the repair)
Is it still worth the price? As I said, I like the darkness of the PX-100-II

Besides, the mentioned JVC's HA-680 and HA-500 are not available in my country.

"Besides, the mentioned JVC's HA-680 and HA-500 are not available in my country."

Many buy them on ebay and have them shipped from Japan.

I haven't heard the proDJ100, however I have read a few reviews of them, and they seem well liked. the PX200II seems like a good option if you have a great preference for a compact headphone. 
when I want isolation and it is safe to have it, I use an IEM. The compact closed headphones(except some like the HD25-1 mk2 which have high clamping force and high prices) tend to not 
isolate very well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back