Headphones similar to Audio Technica ATH-M50 - upgrade
Aug 4, 2016 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

HalloweenJack

New Head-Fier
I really love the sound of the M50s, but are there other headphones that sound similar, BUT BETTER!? :) Also more comfortable?
I also really like the Sennheiser HD-25s. These are my two favourite headphones by far.

Aug 5, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #2 of 13
Both have a slight V shaped sound. Look around for headphones with a V shaped signature. There are plenty of upgrades, depending on your price range.

Higher end would be something like TH600, while an obvious lower end upgrade will be M70. Ofc, you have plenty of other options so look around or give me the details on what you want(price, design, comfort, open/closed, etc)

Aug 6, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #3 of 13
I've read that the M70 is very much _not_ like the M50s (too analytical etc.), but I am of course curious about them.
The TH600 are too pricey for me.

Can you recommend 2 closed and 2 open headphones that have a V-shaped signature like the M50s in the price range $200-400?

Aug 7, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 13
  I've read that the M70 is very much _not_ like the M50s (too analytical etc.), but I am of course curious about them.
The TH600 are too pricey for me.

Can you recommend 2 closed and 2 open headphones that have a V-shaped signature like the M50s in the price range $200-400?

The SRH1540 and Fidelio X2 have V shaped signature, as well as V-moda offerings and HD700(you might be able to find a refurb or used pair for $400 or so).

Aug 7, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 13
The Yamaha HPH-MT220 has a similar sound signature to the M50x, but much better sound quality, in my opinion—so much so that I don't really like the M50x but adore the MT220. Both have a lot of extra bass, but the MT220 has more impact, clarity, energy, and so on, whereas the M50x tends to sound more loose and muddy in comparison.

About the HD 700...I often see it for sale in the forums here within your price range. I had one. It's a polarizing headphone for a reason. As you can see here, it is both warm and bright. With some music, I liked it, and with some other music, it weirded me out. It does not sound like the M50x at all, but is far superior in technical capability.

Aug 7, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #6 of 13
  The Yamaha HPH-MT220 has a similar sound signature to the M50x, but much better sound quality, in my opinion—so much so that I don't really like the M50x but adore the MT220. Both have a lot of extra bass, but the MT220 has more impact, clarity, energy, and so on, whereas the M50x tends to sound more loose and muddy in comparison.

About the HD 700...I often see it for sale in the forums here within your price range. I had one. It's a polarizing headphone for a reason. As you can see here, it is both warm and bright. With some music, I liked it, and with some other music, it weirded me out. It does not sound like the M50x at all, but is far superior in technical capability.

There was one time when the price dipped down to $500 or so(Senn refurb), so I assumed  you might be able to find a used pair for $400. And yes, they are quite polarizing. V shaped definitely, but at the same time, if you can find a pair for $400 or so, techinically the best headphone you can get for the price.

Aug 7, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #7 of 13
  There was one time when the price dipped down to $500 or so(Senn refurb), so I assumed  you might be able to find a used pair for $400. And yes, they are quite polarizing. V shaped definitely, but at the same time, if you can find a pair for $400 or so, techinically the best headphone you can get for the price.

$500 is what I paid for a used one back when it retailed for $750. (It was originally $1,000 or perhaps $1,100 according to some sources.) I've seen it here for lower than $400 from time to time. I even heard it was sold new for around $300 at one point due to a limited Sennheiser promotion. It is currently available on Amazon for as low as $430 new or $360 used.

And nah...nowhere near the best you can get for the price. The STAX SR-207 blows it away. (I got one for $180 along with an amp for $150, both used. Now, since it's discontinued, it's $900 or more along with the amp on the aftermarket, but it can still be had used at good prices, especially if you negotiate private deals. And there are countless other used STAX models in that price range. But they tend to be more accurate than V-shaped.) I also prefer the HE400i and HD 650 over the HD 700.

The only areas I think the HD 700 has an advantage in (over all the others) are soundstage, comfort, and aesthetics. Even then, the 207 has a taller soundstage (and, if I recall, better separation and imaging) despite being less spacious otherwise.

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #8 of 13

$500 is what I paid for a used one back when it retailed for $750. (It was originally $1,000 or perhaps $1,100 according to some sources.) I've seen it here for lower than $400 from time to time. I even heard it was sold new for around $300 at one point due to a limited Sennheiser promotion. It is currently available on Amazon for as low as $430 new or $360 used.

And nah...nowhere near the best you can get for the price. The STAX SR-207 blows it away. (I got one for $180 along with an amp for $150, both used. Now, since it's discontinued, it's $900 or more along with the amp on the aftermarket, but it can still be had used at good prices, especially if you negotiate private deals. And there are countless other used STAX models in that price range. But they tend to be more accurate than V-shaped.) I also prefer the HE400i and HD 650 over the HD 700.

The only areas I think the HD 700 has an advantage in (over all the others) are soundstage, comfort, and aesthetics. Even then, the 207 has a taller soundstage (and, if I recall, better separation and imaging) despite being less spacious otherwise.

Huh. Never had a chance to try STAX headphones, but I still felt that the HD700 was superior technically to the HE400i or the HD650, though tuning wise, HD700 doesn't seem as finely tuned.

Aug 7, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #9 of 13
  Huh. Never had a chance to try STAX headphones, but I still felt that the HD700 was superior technically to the HE400i or the HD650, though tuning wise, HD700 doesn't seem as finely tuned.

Yup, that's why I worded that one phrase "over all the others" since it is better than the HE400i and HD 650 in certain technicalities; just not superior to the STAX in any way aside from some aspects of the soundstage, in my opinion. The frequency response (aka tonal balance or tuning) is one of the most obvious things you notice when you hear a headphone, and I do tend to favor something more linear than not, hence leaning towards the more neutral HE400i and HD 650 regardless. If all of them were equalized effectively, perhaps the HD 700 would be more to my preference.

All this isn't related so much to the topic of headphones similar to the M50x, anyway. Although the M50x and HD 700 both have some lower frequency emphasis, I don't think the HD 700 sounds similar to the M50x at all. Referring to this graph (and comparing it to the HD 700 graph) can provide more insights. The M50x has overwhelming bass, neutral mids, and some roll-off in the treble past the presence region. However, the mids actually sound recessed much of the time due to that bass. The HD 700, on the other hand, has boosted bass and lower mids, somewhat recessed upper mids, and some nasty treble peaks. This tends to make it sound "all over the place" depending on the recording. And of course, as we covered, the technical performance of the HD 700 is in another league, making it sound even more different.

Aug 7, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #10 of 13
The technics 1250s have similar sound. I've a friend with the M50Xs so I'm familiar with them. I bought the technics because theyre also only 115 USD on amazon, they feel more confortable (though heavier) and have a very smooth sound. 

Aug 7, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #11 of 13
Soundmagic HP150. The M50 has a little more bass emphasis, but the HP150 beats up on it in every way: bass, mids, and treble quality, soundstage, imaging, detail resolution, transient response. So if you don't mind a little less bass emphasis, good headphone to get.

Since I also see that you have the MDR-7506, actually, I think the best way to describe the HP150 is as an all around upgrade to that headphone that has better bass extension and perhaps a bit more bass emphasis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back