Headphones Setup For Dedicated Home Theater Use - Several Questions
Dec 20, 2020 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

TopJacket

New Head-Fier
I've ordered the Monolith M1060 headphones and I expect them in a couple of days.

So here are my questions.

- I have a Playstation 5 as my 4K player. What type of sound quality will I get from hooking up the headphones to the controller's basic 3.5mm AUX output? 2.0? 5.1?

- If I buy a decent AV Amp like the Sony STR-DH790 which decodes Dolby Atmos (I know the PS5 doesnt decode Atmos yet) and hook my headphones up to it, will I get Dolby True HD or DTS Master HD sound in my headphones? Will I get at least 5.1 Dolby Digital in my headphones? Or will the sound quality be no better then hooking the headphone's 3.5mm end into the controller's 3.5mm AUX out?

- What about HDMI Audio extractors? If I hook my headphones up to one of these will it improve the sound quality of what I hear?

TLDR: Will using an AV Amp like the Sony STR-DH790 or quality HDMI audio extractor improve the sound I hear while watching movies with high quality audio like Dolby True HD or DTS Master HD?

Dec 20, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 2
Connecting a DAC/amp to the PS5 will give you really good stereo (2.0) audio.
You would need to set the PS5 to 2.0 audio, no surround sound.

Receiver's headphones jacks can have a high output impedance, so best to use a headphone with a high impedance (Ohm) for best damping control (like 250-Ohms or higher).
A 50-Ohm headphone (M1060) would work better plugged into a phone or dedicated DAC/ headphone amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back