Headphones report-card: Let's judge them!
Nov 17, 2015 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Alessandro1

Head-Fier

Headphones report-card: Let's judge them!

The idea is to collect as much data as possible about the performance of the headphones, as perceived by users. Determine the average and also build and post the various graphics depending on the voting receipts in the various selected parameters. It is obvious that the more we are the more realistic will be the result.

In this project there are no gurus, we are all equal. Let's vote and judge anonymously. This means that the Headphone community united to express an opinion on the headphones and the average on the various parameters.

At the end, the results will be posted with easy to read graphs and charts, and the raw data will be available for download (obvious that it's free without any subscription) to be used by everybody in different manners.

Simple instructions:

- Download the Spreadsheet template file .ods http://www.stereo-head.it/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Brand-Model-ENG.ods

- Rename the file with the brand and model of the headphone (i.e. Sennheiser HD600)

- Proceed to vote/judge by (1 to 10) the various parameters. If there are doubts about the terms there is the mini-guide.

- Send it as an attachment to headphone.statistics@gmail.com

- Use a file only for a headphone. That is, for 2 headphones 2 files, 3 headphones 3 files ... In the same email you can send multiple attachments.

- In giving the scores / judgements we should not think about the price, but only the sound quality. The value quality/price will be described later with the data coming out this statistics.

- For reference we think about HD600 and DT880 headphones, they can have an average about 6.5 to 7.5. *

Some people is asking me things such this:
"Ok, I would like to write a report card but I do not own Dt880 or HD600, how can I do?"
Referring to this "rule":
- For reference we think about HD600 and DT880 headphones, they can have an average about 6.5 to 7.5.
It is not mandatory! It's not so strict. It's just to give an example.

Parameters:

Transparency: A window to the music. Can we clearly see through it?
( detailed, clear, not muddy. Wide flat frequency response, sharp time response, very low distortion and noise)

Extension: Extended frequency response, presence of sub-bass and upper harmonics with absent or very low distortion.

Balance: essentially tonal balance, the degree to which one aspect of the sonic spectrum is emphasized above the rest. Also channel balance, the relative level of the left and right stereo channels

Speed: Impulse response, fast transient. In fast passages everything is well defined.

Resolution: (detail, resolving, articulation) The ability of a component to reveal the subtle information that is fundamental to high fidelity sound. Easy to hear tiny details in the music in the original recording. Adequate high frequency response, sharp transient response and articulate bass.

Smooth / gentleness: Easy on the ears, not harsh. Flat frequency response, especially in the midrange. Lack of peaks and dips in the response. Every HP can be easy listening smooth, but often at the expense of detail retrival. In this parameter we have to judge how much a Headphone can be detailed and smooth at the same time, detailed without being harsh or sibilant or hot.

Dynamic: Ability to easily reproduce the variations in sound volume in the song. For example, from pianissimo to a full orchestra. "reproduce easily dynamics" is not synonymous of impact or slam (parameters that will follow), In judging this parameter we focus on ease and fluidity with which these “jumps” are executed. With very good dynamics there is a sense effortless. Obviously, considering an adequate amplification.

Impact/slam : The physical perception of power that the HP can give us. The more is speaker like, the better it is. (often a good HP near 100 Hz)

Body: Fullness of sound, can be even an emphasis on mid-bass or upper bass. (around 200-300 Hz) If this fullness does not overwhelm the mids clearness, the judgement should be high.

Imaging: Instruments or voices perceived in a well defined location, with particular attention on focus.

Layering / 3d: the way they are distinct and far between the various levels of sound. You can hear the orchestra as developed in depth and width from near to far. It's not just a matter of “size” but also of well distinctions.

Head-stage dimension: Just judge dimensions, extension, in depth lateral height.

Musicality: It's too subjective... everyone has his own notion of musicality, but you know what's your's. With that headphone you just think about the music. Everything it's OK. Pleasant.

Listening fatigue: If you do not feel tired after hours of listening, the judgment should be high.

Engagement: Funny Headphone to listen to. Not Boring.

Bass: Quality and quantity of bass (0-200 Hz)

Mids: Quality and quantity of mids (200-2000 Hz)

Highs: Quality and quantity of Highs (2000-20000 Hz

Examples:

List of Headphones considered by average of all parameters

or just about the parameter resolution / detail

or balance

example of a sinlge Headphone

the more we are the better will be

Nov 19, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 26
"Sennydynamic DT650"

Produce these please.

In all seriousness will contribute what I can when I can. I do, however, wonder whether this chart can stay valid considering not everybody has access to either of your benchmarks (DT880s and HD650) and can make judgements in appropriate proportions.

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #4 of 26
Thanks, with a good number of contributors, and headphones judged, I think a lot of the charts could be reliable.
The data I've received up to now seem coherent even if it's just the beginning.

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 26
You should just make a google excel doc that everyone can edit. Having to update a file from submissions sounds incredibly tedious & I doubt it would continually be updated after a while.

hope that suggestion is helpful! :)

Nov 20, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 26
  You should just make a google excel doc that everyone can edit. Having to update a file from submissions sounds incredibly tedious & I doubt it would continually be updated after a while.

hope that suggestion is helpful! :)

Thanks for the advice, we will try to work on it.

Nov 21, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 26
In the meanwhile...

Example of data-sheet that we are using:

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #8 of 26
In giving the scores / judgements we should not think about the price, but only the sound quality. The value quality/price will be described later with the data coming out this statistics.

I really like this and this is something I always try and do when doing my own reviews but the issue is that people with no experience in the higher end don't know the upper bounds as well.

Anyway I'll be writing up a few including my current AKG K551

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #10 of 26
My only other concern is if sets of report cards from different users will be averaged to make the overall score or kept separate?

I know I feel a lot different about a lot of headphones than other users.

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #11 of 26
This is truly missing context without the listing of associated equipment used. Headphones do scale. This is also not very meaningful without noting the music genres used.

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #12 of 26
This is truly missing context without the listing of associated equipment used. Headphones do scale. This is also not very meaningful without noting the music genres used.

A truly perfect review would account for the gear used in the review. Not by saying "this is the gear I used" but by knowing the gear used and the effects that it passes on and adjusting for that in the scores and descriptions. If I use a DAP that I know has a midbass bump (like the AK120) and the headphones I'm pairing with them end up sounding perfectly neutral, they probably have a recess in the mid bass.

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #13 of 26
My only other concern is if sets of report cards from different users will be averaged to make the overall score or kept separate?

I know I feel a lot different about a lot of headphones than other users.

Separate, then summed and then divided by the number of reports.

At the end the single spreadsheet (anonymously) and the composed ones, will be available for free download. So everybody can see and use the data the way they want.

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #14 of 26

The music genre is important. As well as gear used, cables type of pads, some headphones have velour/pleather options... but if we should put every variable it would result exhausting to do for every body. To many parameters.

About Music I thought to put put parameters  : classical, rock, others... then I thought ut would be better Classical, jazz, Rock, Pop, Electro, other but, ok, too many...

A lot of people asked me about Comfort, Driving difficulty, reliability... and so many others. Everything is important, but a long chart to compile could be really tedious.

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #15 of 26

The music genre is important. As well as gear used, cables type of pads, some headphones have velour/pleather options... but if we should put every variable it would result exhausting to do for every body. To many parameters.

About Music I thought to put put parameters  : classical, rock, others... then I thought ut would be better Classical, jazz, Rock, Pop, Electro, other but, ok, too many...

A lot of people asked me about Comfort, Driving difficulty, reliability... and so many others. Everything is important, but a long chart to compile could be really tedious.

I understand it could get exhausting. I just feel kayandjohn has the averaged headphone statistics, which lacks context and is still similar to this report card. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back