Headphones Reconmendation
Oct 28, 2004 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Nostromes

New Head-Fier
Hi.

May I first state that I am not an audiophile. And have definatly not been spoiled with rich clean and clear sound. My current headphones are Plantronics Audio .90s. ( my source is a computer, Athlon XP cpu, Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum (version 1))

Okay, I am looking into a much needed upgrade in my headphones. My main focus is gaming. Secondly, listening to high bit-rate MP3s on my computer. Both are very important, and I would like nice rich detailed sound, that also can provide good imaging for games. I mainly listen to modern rock, classic rock, and some rap music. Bands like, Nirvana, Creed, Linkin Park, Nelly.

Please keep in mind that I have not really heard any high quality headphones, such as the HD650 or anything, so I'm sure that I would feel comfortable with any higher quality headphones then I have right now. But, I do want to make a good educated purhcase, and not break the bank. I do not really wish to upgrade the soundcard, at least not yet. I am a big fan of the seinnheiser products, and have felt how comfortable a set of HD570s are. I think that I would like to invest in a product by them. I do not really want to spend more then $200s. And don't nesicarly want to run an amp, unless, I can get a good pair of headphones, and a good high quality amp for under $200. (Gee, I don't think I can do that
frown.gif
)

Important to me, in order: Rock-Type music quality, Price, gaming quality, COMFORT.

The products I am considering are HD570, which are appealing because of their pice, seen them for about 60 bucks. And they're comfortable.

Next, the HD590. Which I hear is good for games, and has good quality, but a more friendly sound then say, the HD580s. I've also heard that it doesn't sound good at all without an upgraded cable, which would be more money then I am willing to spend.

Also, the price of the 555 is kinda nice, and I've heard they sound nearly identical to the 595s.

And, lastly, the HD595. Originaly, when I seen this product on senns website, I was turned off by it's "funky" looks and shapes. But, recently in my motivation to find better audio, I have been reading reviews that claim that they're nice headphones. If they sound good, to me, thats more important then what they look like.

Well thats it, a lengly post I know, sorry. But if anybody can reconmend me a good choice out of these selected phones, or your own personal favorites within my price range, i would strongly appriciate it.

*also, do you guys think I will have any problems pushing these higher end headphones (595s) with my Sound Blaster Audigy? What kind of *good* amps are available for dirt cheap prices? I'm not an electrical engeneer, and don't think I could make one myself :d

Oct 28, 2004 at 12:59 PM Post #2 of 12
"good" can be very subjective word around here.
i know that if you get a Philips HP890 and drive it with your audigy you'd be very happy already.

the reason being too good a headphone (e.g. Sennheiser HD280) will reveal the shortcomings of your source (the audigy).

never heard the HD555 but this guy thinks its great

Oct 28, 2004 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 12
Let me say my situation is very similar to yours. I, too, came from headsets, mine being the Sennheiser PC-130, and all I had heard prior to that was the Plantronics DSP-500. I settled on the HD 590 and it's probably one of the best gaming phones you could get; I can't really expect much better performance for gaming. In terms of music I think it is very fun to listen to as well. Unless I have read wrong, it is among the leaders in bass in these forums. For your music listening types, I don't believe that a super high quality phone will be necessary just like it really wasn't for me. Linkin Park, Creed, and Nelly (not sure about Nirvana) can be done plenty of justice on these cans. Having said that, I will also say that you can't really go wrong with the HD 555 or HD 595, these will be no slouches for gaming and definitely not for music. All three of those will be a MARKED improvement over the Audio .90. Also in terms of amplication, the HD 590 doesn't NEED an amp. It's more fun with one since there's more of a hit to the bass
icon10.gif

Oct 28, 2004 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 12
Thanks alot for the replys guys. I'm still not fully set on which set will fully serve me best, but I do know, that It'll be hard to go wrong.

I'm not opposed to upgrading the source-sound card if nesicary, it just won't happen extremly soon. After a nice pair of headphones, my next upgrade will need to be my monitor. But, in about 2 months, a good soundcard can be done.

Oct 28, 2004 at 1:29 PM Post #6 of 12
I think you would be happy with the Senn HD 555's as long as you know that these types of headphones let sound in and out. I don't know how they would pair with your soundcard but they are relatively easy to drive and improve with more amplification.

Edit: ..and Welcome to head-fi, sorry about the wallet.

Oct 28, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 12
I for one love my HD590s. They're great for gaming and are relatively forgiving of MP3s, assuming the bitrate is decent. They also don't *need* to be powered by an amp, they can be enjoyed quite well without one, but if you invest a little bit in a low-end amp (like a portable PIMETA or something) it improves the sound A LOT. But they're great for games; I have a few buds who use them exclusively for this purpose.

I haven't heard the HD555s, so I can't comment on those. I've read lots of good things about 'em on these forums though.

-Chad

Oct 28, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #8 of 12
Add me to the 590 recommendation list. I think they're great for what you're looking to do. I never heard teh 555, so I don't know if that's a better value for your needs. However, the 590's are capable of delivering what you want and then some.

Get them on the used market. You'll save some $$$

Oct 28, 2004 at 8:17 PM Post #9 of 12
HD555 will definitely serve you well. Although, i don't usually use mine without an amp (cable was setup that way), i think it sounds okay without it through my old Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. Anything higher than that i would think it'll be a bit overkill for your purpose. HD570, with my little experience with it, i can't really recommend it.

Oct 28, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #10 of 12
Well, I'm seriously putting alot of thought into the HD595's. From what I've read, they sound as good/better as the 590's with an upgraded (equinox) cable. I do like the 590s, from the reviews I've seen, and they were my original favorites. Anybody able to comment on the 595's? One last thing, how does the bass compare from the 590s to the 595s... I've also read that the 590s have teriffic bass, is this true of the 595s as well.

(or a 555 and a decent low cost amp)

I am looking soon after my headphone purchase, into gettin a decent amp and sound card.

Thanks so much guys, all of your input is extremly helpful and apprieciated.

Oct 29, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #11 of 12
I've got a Audigy 2zs with an Philips sbc-hp1000 (angled drivers like the 555/595 sennheiser series but it outclass the 555 and performes better at the low end compared to the 595, soundstage is also superb however they are not the most easy headphones to drive unlike the hp890 which can be driven with almost anything)
Now the hp1000 like all philips headphones are hard to get outside europe so that's not an option.
however the 595 are much better than the 590(in my opinion), but the sounds is to warm and to upfront(some however wil like the upfront sound), the bass is ok though.
Some say Audio-Technica has some nice heaphones but i have no experience with them sinds they are hard to get in europe! unlike the philips
smily_headphones1.gif

from my experience the audigy2 sounds much better than the original audigy but it's not the most clearest soundcard, however it has a very strong headphone output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back