Headphones Recommendations for 95$ or less
Apr 17, 2008 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

aviv_b

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good pair of headphones for 95$ or less.
They can be both open back or closed back, but there are a few things that they must have:

1) Tight and powerful bass - i'm not a bass-head and i don't want head blowing bass (like akg k414p), but the headphones must have a good low end response because most of the time i listen to rap music - and rap without bass = SUCKS!

2)NOT THAT IMPORTANT!- Cover the all ear - the ear pads must be large enough to cover the all ear, But i don't want the phones to be huge and massive.

4)After using headphones with a boomy bass like k414p for a few hours continuously - i'm getting pretty tired, so i want headphones that will keep me listening for hours without wanting to sleep
smily_headphones1.gif

3)Clear highs and mids and good overall sound quality.

I've seen a few phones including some senn' models and grado's, but I especially liked these three:
Grado SR80.
Sennheiser Hd485.
Akg K81 DJ.

Hope you'll successfully assist me and i'll quit killing myself trying to decide which one is better for me.

Apr 17, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 23
maybe aurvana live! , same thing as d1000 denons, they are the same foster headphones

Apr 17, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by aviv_b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for a good pair of headphones for 95$ or less.
They can be both open back or closed back, but there are a few things that they must have:

1) Tight and powerful bass - i'm not a bass-head and i don't want head blowing bass (like akg k414p), but the headphones must have a good low end response because most of the time i listen to rap music - and rap without bass = SUCKS!

2) Cover the all ear - the ear pads must be large enough to cover the all ear, But i don't want the phones to be huge and massive.

4)After using headphones with a boomy bass like k414p for a few hours continuously - i'm getting pretty tired, so i want headphones that will keep me listening for hours without wanting to sleep
smily_headphones1.gif

3)Clear highs and mids and good overall sound quality.

I've seen a few phones including some senn' models and grado's, but I especially liked these three:
Grado SR80.
Sennheiser Hd485.
Akg K81 DJ.

Hope you'll successfully assist me and i'll quit killing myself trying to decide which one is better for me.

Some of the phones you have listed do not go around your ear. They go on top.

Apr 17, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 23
I don't think any of the three headphones you've listed would match your requirements very well. This might sound laughable by Head-Fi standards, but I would seriously recommend the Koss PortaPro. They're not circumaural, but they are indeed extremely comfortable. They're so lightweight it's easy to forget they're even on. The bass of the PortaPro is more emphasized than with, for example, the Grado, but it's still pretty nice and clean in my opinion. All in all, I think it's a great sounding portable headphone at a great price.

Apr 18, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think any of the three headphones you've listed would match your requirements very well. This might sound laughable by Head-Fi standards, but I would seriously recommend the Koss PortaPro. They're not circumaural, but they are indeed extremely comfortable. They're so lightweight it's easy to forget they're even on. The bass of the PortaPro is more emphasized than with, for example, the Grado, but it's still pretty nice and clean in my opinion. All in all, I think it's a great sounding portable headphone at a great price.

why don't the headphones i've listed match my requirements?
forget about the comfort and their shape for a second and relate only to their sound quality.
that's way more important than comfort to me.

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by DKaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denon D1000 are one of the best closed phone you will find at $100. Great bass and should cover your entire ear (they are labelled as on ears, but the cans are big enough to go around most peoples ears).

Denon D1000

they are too pricey for me.

but what do you think about sennheiser hd485 or sr80 or ATH-PRO5V?

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

why don't the headphones i've listed match my requirements?
forget about the comfort and their shape for a second and relate only to their sound quality.
that's way more important than comfort to me.

Grado SR-80: not enough bass for your indicated preferences, but the best headphone on your list (by far) in general

AKG K81DJ: cheap closed headphone sound with flatulent bass

Sennheiser HD485: if you can audition these first with the music you like, maybe they'd be okay

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

the bass in the Grado is so bad?

I like it, but it's an acquired taste, and I would think ill suited to bass-driven rap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back