Headphones recommendation?
Dec 30, 2012 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

NotLordAtkin

New Head-Fier
Hi there :) 

I've been stuck with a pair of Beats Studio for quite a while now (yes, I'm one of the poor sods who bought them when they were still pretending to be a good brand of headphones rather than a fashion statement) and my patience has finally run out. I'd like to get a new pair and sell these.

I use my headphones daily, mainly during commute, on the bus or while walking. For these reasons, they need to be at least moderately portable and they need to work with an android smartphone. I'd like them to be a full-sized closed set as well.

The sound quality needs to be better than Beats in order for me to be able to justify the purchase. My budget is not too large though, It would be nice if they could fit into 200 EUR. 

Can you recommend a good set? Do I need to buy anything else (like an external amp and whatnot) to make the most of them or do they work alright when plugged directly into the player? Remember that I mostly use them with my phone. If I need to purchase an amp (or anything else that I can't do without), can you recommend one as well? 

From what I've seen so far, two pairs that caught my attention are Denon AH-D1001 and 1100. My question is, what's the difference between the two? Which one is better? Are they sufficiently superior to Beats to justify buying them when I already own the blasted 300 eur fashion accessorry? Would you recommend them? 

Thanks a lot.

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 3
anyone? please?

I tend to listen to lots of electronic music, mainly drum n' bass and electroswing. the latter's quite tricky as songs often go from bass-heavy sections to trumpet solos and back so I guess that calls for a well-ballanced set of headphones. Just a guess though, I know very little of audio hardware.

Also, it might have seemed like I was bashing on beats a lot in the previous post. I wasn't really. I'm not saying that beats are bad headphones (once again, I know too little about headphones in general to be able to claim that), but I know that I was disappointed with what I got for the price and that the headphones are useless in terms of how I need to use them. Not as much sound quality as practicality in general. I hope I didn't get any Beats owners angry there.

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 3
The Logitech UE6000 is a well balanced full-sized, sealed headphone. While the passive isolation is quite nice on itself, you can turn on the active noise canceling to get some extra isolation in noisy enviroments (it won't be as good as the QC15s however it's a nice extra feature).

If you like the Denon 1001 you shoul look for the Creative Aurvana Live! Which appear to be pretty much the same cans. It should be noted that these HPs are far from being balanced, they have a slightly warmer sound signature compared to the UE6000 and some find the somewhat bloated bass unbearable. They aren't in the same league of the UE6000s and the build quality isn't as good, however you can find them brand new at around 50 euros so I should say that they are really good for the price.

You can find a nice review of them both on InnerFidelity: UE6000 - CAL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back