Headphones + PS3?
Jun 19, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 11
It seems the headphone gaming guide is invisible to you. You can use any DAC that has an optical input with whatever standard headphone amp you want. OR you can use the Playstation composite or component cable and hook up the RCA audio to a headphone amp (in this case, you'll be using the PS3's internal DAC). Just make sure to set the PS3 to 2 channel PCM unless your DAC has Dolby support (I.e. Astro Mixamp, Turtle Beach DSS, Creative Recon USB, AX720, etc).

Btw, usb amps will not work. Like Raven says, you can buy an adapter, but you still have to run from the adapter's 3.5mm out to an amp's line in. It makes more sound quality-wise to use the rear ports.

Jun 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
I'm using ps3>amp>headphones, I use the included rca cable out and hdmi for video, just have to adjust audio output in the settings.

I've done this when I kept my ps3 next to my desktop.  Set up the PS3 to output video only through hdmi to monitor, and stereo audio through RCA, connecting that to my amp.  

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 11
I currently run PS3 > AX720 via Optical > Matrix M-Stage > Q701

Very nice sound and the AX720 + M-Stage actually do quite a good job for positional cues in fps (despite double amping...)

I'll be picking up a Bifrost soon and testing PS3 > Bifrost via Optical to see how much of a difference a good stereo DAC makes to virutal surround of the AX720.

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #8 of 11
I dunno what you're planning, but you CAN'T hook up the AX720 to a DAC. You will lose all virtual surround capabilities if you do that. The AX720 HAS to be the first device connected. If you hook up the Bifrost, it will convert everything to two channel stereo. You'll just be adding reverb to a stereo signal with the AX720 = pointless.

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #9 of 11
Hey MLE,
Completely agree...my post may have been a bit misleading.  I meant I was going to try hooking it up into the Bifrost instead of the AX720 to compare stereo gaming vs virtual surround.

My plan was if there wasn't a huge difference, then I would just sell off the AX720.

Jun 28, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #10 of 11
Umm, it's night and day. You DO realize that you can turn off the virtual surround on the AX720. That's essentially the same kind of sound you'll get with the Bifrost. Regular stereo. You don't have to wait to get the Bifrost to do that. Unless you actually believe one stereo dac is gonna drastically improve stereo from another. You'll be quite disappointed if you think one form of stereo is better than the same thing on another stereo dac. For music, sure. For gaming? Umm, no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back