Headphones out of the closet ;¬)
Apr 2, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach
I noticed the OP wanted to know if for 50 GBP one can get cans that are better than the HD540's (seeing as they are now quite old).

I doubt this is the case, as headphone technology hasn't exactly moved as quickly as, say, microchip technology has.
icon10.gif

I reckon that if you're satisfied with the sound of the HD540's, then a new amp would be a fine addition. If not, then, well, the budget won't work out with the Corda.
580smile.gif

I have decided that I will go for the Corda Headfive and stick with the HD540's for now. Only downside is of course no deliveries expected until July(ish). So I guess I'll have to restrict my late night listening to CD's on the PC until then - Prime source is (and always has been) LP.

Apr 2, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #17 of 20
If you like the headphones, then don't think about changing them. Sound quality is down to the perception of the listener - if you're happy with the sound of them, then you'll be in for a long ride if you look at alternatives!
wink.gif

Why not experiment with some vintage amplifiers from eBay? Most of the older stuff goes for peanuts, and you could try several different models out if you wanted to...

Should be able to run 2 amplifiers on the same system by using a set of tape-out loops?

--Rich

Apr 4, 2006 at 12:21 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by will48
Thanks for the welcome - think I'll be able to resist most of the above - don't do cables (bought a bulk batch of speaker cable and found it was fine for interconnects and mains cable as well
biggrin.gif
. As for DAC's/SACD's/DVD-A's, well I've only ever owned two CD players since the inception of CD's as a format all those years ago
eek.gif
And if it hadn't of worn out, I'd still be using my 1st generation 14bit Philips player
biggrin.gif

YW, just upholding tradition. Good to hear you'll not be a sufferer of Head-Fi induced upgraditis. I'll have to be pretty rich before I consider much more than my meager setups at this point. I find it hard to spend money in general
tongue.gif
In fact, on that point I must say I think it's pretty cool that you've owned only 2 CDPs since CDs came out. Nice.
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #19 of 20
Wasn't there a thread recently about really cheap HD595 from a UK seller? I think this is what they were talking about, but I'm not sure:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/hd595_W0QQf...fltZ9QQfromZR8

The HD595 are at least on the same level as the HD580, and they are supposed to be more comfortable. They will also work well from portables since they have relatively high efficiency. I don't see why you would want the HD580 over these unless you've tried both and like the HD580 better.

Apr 4, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by deez
In fact, on that point I must say I think it's pretty cool that you've owned only 2 CDPs since CDs came out. Nice.
biggrin.gif

Well I still consider LP's to be the prime source, then again I've only ever had 4 turntables since I started buying LP's over 35 years ago - the current one is now just over a year old and the one it replaced I had for 18 years. Also, if it hadn't been for the house move the headphones would probably never have seen the light of day and still be residing in their original box at the back of the cupboard.

Well the deed is done - put my name down for the Headfive & got a B-Tech (aaaaaaaaaaagh
eek.gif
) from eBay for £9 to tide me over till July as I need some LP magic late at night
biggrin.gif
and this will have to do for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back