Headphones or Speakers
Aug 21, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #16 of 46

Quote:
Hi DaveBSC,
The only high end speakers l've ever heard were the Tannoy Westminster Royal se's, l've never heard any others, and l'm totally naive when it come knowing about speaker technology, although after receiving a Tannoy brochure from Jack l did learn a little about the concentric idea, but apart from that l know nothing,  l suppose l could learn more about how speakers work but l'd sooner listen to them, regarding the TAD CR-1 speakers, because my focus has only been on headphones l've never heard of them, but l have to say they are very nice looking speakers, the only problem is, l've seen them priced at $37000, if that's how much they are then that's way out of my price range, although l'd like to Thank you DaveBSC for mentioning about them, the Tannoy Kensington se's aren't cheap at £7000 each which is why if l wanted them it would take about three years to save the money, but if you know of any other speakers around £7000's that are very good sounding and would let me know, it would be much appreciated.

The TAD speakers are crazy expensive, I really brought them up because they represent pretty much the SOTA (along with the fullsize, $60K TADs) of concentric design. Other notable concentrics are the KEF Blade and their Reference series, and the Thiel CS3.7, which is priced fairly reasonably. That's not to say that concentric designs are automatically better than everything else. Some of my absolute favorite speakers from Rockport and NOLA use separate tweeters - ring radiators in the case of Rockport, and ribbons in the NOLAs.

I'm not sure what the exact size of your room is, but in small to medium rooms I've long had a preference for traditional two-way monitor designs, especially when it comes to getting maximum value for the dollar. While you do give up the range below 40Hz, what you get in return is incredible imaging and soundstaging which allows $4-5K monitors to compete with $10-15K floor standing speakers. One of the most interesting monitors I've seen in a long time is the Vapor Audio Cirrus. If I were in the market, those would be first on my must hear list, followed by Merlin, and maybe a used Joseph Pearl or Eggleston Andra III, either of which would be awesome, but still at least $12K.

Aug 21, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #17 of 46

Quote:
Sorry, it sounds intriguing but unpractical, but when eventually l get my new headphone and speaker system l may give it a try.

I was half joking, but give it a shot!  Actually I've used closed cans and a sub-woofer (speakers turned off) at the same time before which feels pretty good.

Aug 21, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #18 of 46

Quote:

I was half joking, but give it a shot!  Actually I've used closed cans and a sub-woofer (speakers turned off) at the same time before which feels pretty good.

Hi kiteki,
l had a feeling you was but as l say l am  a bit naive, l was joking about trying it because my new headphone system when l get it next year is going to be Esoteric K-01, SR-009's and BHSE, so l don't think l'll need any outside help from speakers.

Aug 21, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #20 of 46

Quote:

The TAD speakers are crazy expensive, I really brought them up because they represent pretty much the SOTA (along with the fullsize, $60K TADs) of concentric design. Other notable concentrics are the KEF Blade and their Reference series, and the Thiel CS3.7, which is priced fairly reasonably. That's not to say that concentric designs are automatically better than everything else. Some of my absolute favorite speakers from Rockport and NOLA use separate tweeters - ring radiators in the case of Rockport, and ribbons in the NOLAs.

I'm not sure what the exact size of your room is, but in small to medium rooms I've long had a preference for traditional two-way monitor designs, especially when it comes to getting maximum value for the dollar. While you do give up the range below 40Hz, what you get in return is incredible imaging and soundstaging which allows $4-5K monitors to compete with $10-15K floor standing speakers. One of the most interesting monitors I've seen in a long time is the Vapor Audio Cirrus. If I were in the market, those would be first on my must hear list, followed by Merlin, and maybe a used Joseph Pearl or Eggleston Andra III, either of which would be awesome, but still at least $12K.

Hi again DaveBSC,
Thank you for this information and l'll take a look at the speakers you've mentioned, at the moment though l do like the look of the Tannoy Kensington se's, plus l have heard the Tannoy Westminster Royal se driven by the Esoteric A-100 and K-01 at Jack's place and l did like the sound they produced, as l say though the Kensington's are more suited for smaller rooms, by the way Dave my room where they'd be situated is 12' by 12'.

Aug 21, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #21 of 46

Quote:
I don't even know what that is, it must be heavenly!

but even a heavenly headphone wont cover your body surface with sub-woofer vibes.

You're probably right about the body surface sub-woofer vibes but that isn't the reason why l'm eventually getting a speaker system, regarding the headphone system l've mentioned, someone else might be able to let you know if you're interested, assuming someone else has got that system.

Aug 21, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #22 of 46
Hi DaveBSC,
l've looked at and read about all the speakers you've suggested and to be honest l still like the look of the Tannoy Kensington se, especially with the grill on the front, what l like about it is it's kind of distinguished look but l would prefer it in Walnut veneer as opposed to mahogany, having said that, it's a pity the TAD CR-1 is so expensive because it's some looker, aswell as supposedly being a great sounding speaker, l would however like to thank you for making the effort in letting me know about the speakers you've mentioned.

David.

Aug 21, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #23 of 46

Quote:
Hi DaveBSC,
l've looked at and read about all the speakers you've suggested and to be honest l still like the look of the Tannoy Kensington se, especially with the grill on the front, what l like about it is it's kind of distinguished look but l would prefer it in Walnut veneer as opposed to mahogany, having said that, it's a pity the TAD CR-1 is so expensive because it's some looker, aswell as supposedly being a great sounding speaker, l would however like to thank you for making the effort in letting me know about the speakers you've mentioned.

Sure. Keep in mind I only mentioned a tiny fraction of what's out there. The Vapor just really appeals to me because it's using the level of drivers that most companies reserve for their $15K+ speakers, and the cabinet and crossover designs are first rate as well. The Cirrus just may be steal of the century at $3500/pr. Merlin speakers are pretty unique with their "BAM" system, and they sound really, really good for the money. Admittedly they aren't the most interesting looking speakers in the world. Acapella's horn speakers look so good they could be museum pieces, but the pricing gets scary. The Andra is one of the first high-end speakers I've heard, and its always been a favorite of mine. The Savoy and the Ivy are impressive in the same way that the mega Rockports are, but I'll never actually own one. Whereas I could see an Andra III somewhere in my future.

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #24 of 46

Quote:
Hi DaveBSC,
The only high end speakers l've ever heard were the Tannoy Westminster Royal se's, l've never heard any others, and l'm totally naive when it come knowing about speaker technology, although after receiving a Tannoy brochure from Jack l did learn a little about the concentric idea, but apart from that l know nothing,  l suppose l could learn more about how speakers work but l'd sooner listen to them, regarding the TAD CR-1 speakers, because my focus has only been on headphones l've never heard of them, but l have to say they are very nice looking speakers, the only problem is, l've seen them priced at $37000, if that's how much they are then that's way out of my price range, although l'd like to Thank you DaveBSC for mentioning about them, the Tannoy Kensington se's aren't cheap at £7000 each which is why if l wanted them it would take about two years to save the money, but if you know of any other speakers around £7000's that are very good sounding and would let me know, it would be much appreciated.

David.

I put down that the Tannoy Kensington se speakers are £7000 each when in actual fact they are £7500 a pair, l also put down the Tannoy Westminster se are £22000 each when again they are that for a pair, sorry to Tannoy for making such a mistake.

Dave.

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #25 of 46

Quote:
I put down that the Tannoy Kensington se speakers are £7000 each when in actual fact they are £7500 a pair, l also put down the Tannoy Westminster se are £22000 each when again they are that for a pair, sorry to Tannoy for making such a mistake.

Dave.

That's a little more reasonable, still I think they look like a radio from around 1936.

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #26 of 46

Quote:

That's a little more reasonable, still I think they look like a radio from around 1936.

l guess l'm old fashion because I prefer that look, l would however sooner have the two in walnut veneer as opposed to mahogany,  Jack Lawson the audio dealer where l'll eventually be getting them from said he knows Tannoy well and their place is only 9 miles from his, so he told me he'll have a word with them, while l may seem odd liking the look of the Kensington se speakers, l don't think the same can be said about my taste in the SACD + DAC player l'm getting March next year which is Esoteric K-01. 

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #27 of 46

Quote:
l guess l'm old fashion because I prefer that look, l would however sooner have the two in walnut veneer as opposed to mahogany,  Jack Lawson the audio dealer where l'll eventually be getting them from said he knows Tannoy well and their place is only 9 miles from his, so he told me he'll have a word with them, while l may seem odd liking the look of the Kensington se speakers, l don't think the same can be said about my taste in the SACD + DAC player l'm getting March next year which is Esoteric K-01. 

To each his own, I guess. I prefer this sort of look, swept back, black front baffle, dark wood sides. That, or the automotive type finishes that companies like E-W use.

Aug 27, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #28 of 46

Quote:
To each his own, I guess. I prefer this sort of look, swept back, black front baffle, dark wood sides. That, or the automotive type finishes that companies like E-W use.

Nice speakers, Tannoy do a series similar called the Dimension, regarding part of the reason why l like the Kensington se, l'm in the process of moving home and the living room in this house, sorry bungalow has a bricked fireplace, but because there's no fire, the nook left is  where l'm planning on positioning my audio and video equipment, so above the audio + video stuff is where my TV's going and the two Kensington speakers will eventually go on the outer sides of the fireplace, these outer sides are right angled so l think the shape of the Kensington se will fit in perfect,  the best thing about placing  my audio + video equipment where a fire once was, is there will be ventilation from the chimney which will help to keep cool the BHSE and Esoteric A-03 amp, although it will probably be late next year before l have all the audio equipment l'm after, when l do l'll take a picture and show it on Head-fi.

David.

Aug 27, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #29 of 46
I'll  go with dem phones just because I live in an apartment building and cannot play music loud with bass. Also it would cost a ton just to tune the listening room for acoustics. If I ever move to my own house, I would probably switch to speakers.

Aug 28, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #30 of 46

Quote:
I'll  go with dem phones just because I live in an apartment building and cannot play music loud with bass. Also it would cost a ton just to tune the listening room for acoustics. If I ever move to my own house, I would probably switch to speakers.

The house l live in at the moment is semi - detached and my living room and the next door neighbours are together, therefore l only listen to headphones in order not to disturb them, when l move into my new property which is a semi - detached bungalow, the living room [ where my audio and video equipment is going ] is on the outer side of the building, so when l do get some speakers l could have them on very loud and not disturb anyone, l don't think my ear drums would appreciate it though.

Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back