Headphones or 2.1 Speakers? ($500 budget)
Sep 21, 2014 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

PandaPaws

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm not what people would call an audiophile (yet XD), but I enjoy good music. The types of music that I listen most to are pop, country, and instrumentals (guitar, piano, and violin mostly), I tend to listen to music at lower volumes and I enjoy to have some substantial yet high quality base from time to time.

I currently own a pair of Sony MDR-V6, the sound is very clear and pleasant but the bass feels a bit weak and it's not fun enough for me (I suppose I'm a bass head @_@?)

I also have an HSU STF-1 Subwoofer sitting around somewhere that I used to plug into my computer's sound card (Xonar DX), but hasn't seen much use since I don't have a good pair of speakers to go with it.

Since I listen to music at least 2-3 hrs a day, I'm planning to invest a bit to make the experiences more pleasant. My budget is about 500-600, and I was wondering should I invest in a good pair of headphones or a good pair of speakers? Noise won't be an issue since I live by myself. After reading through the forums a bit I have my eyes laid on HE400 + Modi/Magni, but would there be other better options (headphones/speakers) out there for the price?

I'd appreciate any input from you guys!

PP

Sep 21, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 3
If you can save up, an HE400i + Magni/Modi would definitely be an enjoyable desktop setup.  Another option would be going with HD600s instead of HE400i.  A very similar, and well regarded sound, but for less money.

On the speaker side of things, you can probably do something like the Emotiva Airmotiv 6S, a Modi, and a passive preamp like the Schiit SYS in your price range.  Not 2.1, but it will still be a quality, nearfield setup.

Lots of options.  Best of luck on your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back