Headphones or 2.0 speakers????
Dec 12, 2011 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Gr33nL34f

100+ Head-Fier
Im looking at the alessandro ms1i's and the M-audio AV40 2.0 speakers, which one would you guys choose they are close to the same price? Noise really isnt a issue i just want whats going to give me the most bang for the buck. Mostly listen to the beatles,oasis,queen,bob dylan,la roux 80s pop/synth pop music also like country music and opera( i like alot of music) anyways im using a asus xonar dg sound card with either setup so help me out people! cant seem to make up my mind. :) 

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 12
I would think of the pros and cons for  headphones and speakers first then just choose based on that since I dont believe one would blow the other out of the water in terms of SQ. And I think they cost pretty close to the same $99

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 12
well the 2.0 speakers i can walk or lay down and listen. if i want headphones id have to sit at my desk because i dont have any ipods or anything to hook up to but i love the look of the grado styling so retro(which im a fan of) and everyone says they have great sound quality. im just not sure about the av40's i mean are they going to sound good with the type of music i like? my sound card has a built in headphone amp so if i go buy 2.0 speakers thats going to be a waste i guess but then again its only a $30 card. 

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 12
Well if you already have speakers and you find them decent enough, then the decision should be easy enough right ? Everyone needs a pair of cans in their life
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 12
They are decent to me because i never heard $100 & up desktop speakers so i dont know what they would sound like or even if it'd be a big step up. to me spending $100 on audio is expensive so i gotta make the right choice. 
confused.gif

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
They are decent to me because i never heard $100 & up desktop speakers so i dont know what they would sound like or even if it'd be a big step up. to me spending $100 on audio is expensive so i gotta make the right choice. 
confused.gif

Probably won't sound better than the speakers of your cars, or a regular hifi stereo , with enough big speakers.

If you want an "intimate" sound , where every little details is easier to discover , go to the headphone road.
If "soundstage" is important thing to you, and perhaps bass too , go to speakers road to.

Personally I  like to switch between headphone & speakers, the feeling is not the same.

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
so they'd probably sound like the regular big ole' speakers you'd buy with a stereo at walmart? 

I'm not sure what you currently find at walmart, but I  have for instance an old JVC hifi stereo,
and I  don't  think that neither of my speakers "altec lansing fx6021"  and "audioengine a2" (because I use two Pc) , that I got both more than 100$ provide an audio experience that would surpass the one from my regular hi-fi stereo.
They don't sound same at all too. But I'd think the sound I get from the big speakers of my hi fi is the most neutral , complete, detailed,  refined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back