Headphones On Full Time
Jun 4, 2009 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

leichnitz

100+ Head-Fier
I usually plug my headphones (Grado SR125) and turn off my speakers only when I want to listen to the phones. It would be more convenient to leave the phones near my chair, plugged in all the time the amp is on (maybe a few hours a day) and then just slip them on without having to plug them in each time. However, I see lots of posts about with people talking about how few hours their phones have on them. Most of us don't think twice about using our full sized speakers for many hours a day, for years or decades. Is there something special about phones that make them degrade faster than speakers? Or should I just stop worrying and leave them plugged in full time?

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #2 of 8
Well, it tells about the burn in time. Low hours pretty much says they haven't been used much and can sell for more. Aren't speakers talked about the same way?

There isn't anything wrong with leaving them plugged in.

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 8
No, more hours is good on headphones! But you have to be carefull that when you turn up your speakers, your headphone won't blow up (unless they are turned off, I don't know your system).

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #4 of 8
Just use them however you want. They're yours. I take great care of my stuff, but the last thing I'm worried about is how many hours they have on them. This isn't a car... use time doesn't mean much about how long they'll last or what shape they're in.

Jun 4, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 8
If you believe in burn in, more hours are good, always.

If you don't believe in burn in, leaving them on while you listen to speakers won't hurt anything.

It is a win/not-lose situation.

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #7 of 8
More hours is a good thing as it helps burn the headphones in (if you believe in burn in). The only dangers are that if you play your music too loud you can blow them up, and if you have them running for too long without a break (especially at higher volumes) then you may damage the drivers. A headphone needs a rest every once in a while for extended play IMHO.

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More hours is a good thing as it helps burn the headphones in (if you believe in burn in). The only dangers are that if you play your music too loud you can blow them up, and if you have them running for too long without a break (especially at higher volumes) then you may damage the drivers. A headphone needs a rest every once in a while for extended play IMHO.

A rest? I honestly cant agree with this, what do they do, have a snack break? haha sorry, just playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back