Headphones needed for monday!
Feb 27, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #17 of 30
WOW! Lots of new posts with a ton of D1001 reccomendations!

It's a shame, because I opted to take them back today! so.. once again I'm headphoneless!

The saleman was pretty much 100% against denon and senn headphones. He said that the ATH's were the only ones worth looking at, which somewhat steered me away from asking his opinion on them
frown.gif

He also told me the D1001's would be useless as they are open (!?)

If only I had read your replies sooner, I would have told him to get them to try!

I'm tempted to go on a 2hr drive tomorrow to the closest 'big' city to see what I can find there. I'm dreading the thought of going away without headphones!

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxxeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW! Lots of new posts with a ton of D1001 reccomendations!

It's a shame, because I opted to take them back today! so.. once again I'm headphoneless!

The saleman was pretty much 100% against denon and senn headphones. He said that the ATH's were the only ones worth looking at, which somewhat steered me away from asking his opinion on them
frown.gif

He also told me the D1001's would be useless as they are open (!?)

If only I had read your replies sooner, I would have told him to get them to try!

I'm tempted to go on a 2hr drive tomorrow to the closest 'big' city to see what I can find there. I'm dreading the thought of going away without headphones!

Looks like that salesman didn't really know anything tbh. Headphones are a very personal taste, and he should've atleast offered you some to try out.

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #19 of 30
The D1001's aren't "open" but they're not sealed either. They let in a fair amount of outside noise, which I like, because especially when traveling I dont want to be totally oblivious to the outside world.

If the salesman said that ATH were the only 'phones worth looking at, then I'm guessing that he gets a nice commission on ATH. I mean don't get me wrong, ATH makes a great headphone, but what he said is just ignorant.

Also, you might look at the JVC HA-RX700's. They have a similar closed, but not sealed design to the Denons, and a lot of people really like them as well.

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #20 of 30
So now I'm definately Considering the D1001's
(even though they are £30 over budget! hehe!)

According to Darek, the sounds isolation isn't TOO bad!
I'll have to look into that.

As a bit of a basshead, do you think it'll have adequate performace through a portable (iPod etc)
I see they are 35 Ohm, which spells more power than the 60 on the M40fs' so that's promising!
(They look nicer too!)

I'm checking out some reviews of them now.
Anyone have a reputable one you think i should check out?

It's a shame they are in a blista pack, I don't think the salesman would be willing to take them out just for a try!
He didn't seem to happy about my ATH return either!

Feb 27, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #21 of 30
1) They're 32 ohms, not 35, not that that's a big difference or anything.

2) What headphones are you familiar with? I did a review comparing and contrasting them with the Grado SR60i. Long and short of it was that the D1001's are fuller/warmer sounding, have punchier bass, but aren't as clear and forward sounding.

Feb 27, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #22 of 30
Feb 27, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #23 of 30
FWIR, D1001 are fantastic. To answer the question of isolation - they let a lot of sound in, but they let nothing out. In other words, you can hear them, but they can't hear you.

Feb 27, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nestor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIR, D1001 are fantastic. To answer the question of isolation - they let a lot of sound in, but they let nothing out. In other words, you can hear them, but they can't hear you.

They also block out most ambient type noise when you listen at normal listening levels. And yes, I'd definitely agree that unless you are in an extremely quiet atmosphere (like harvard law school's library during finals type quiet) the people around you aren't going to notice.

Feb 27, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

To answer the question of isolation - they let a lot of sound in, but they let nothing out. In other words, you can hear them, but they can't hear you.

Quote:

And yes, I'd definitely agree that unless you are in an extremely quiet atmosphere (like harvard law school's library during finals type quiet) the people around you aren't going to notice.

Well.. That's exactly what I like to hear! I won't find outside sound a problem, I just didn't want to annoy anyone around me!

Thanks for the review fjrabon!
after reading it, it seems they are suited for me!
The problem I had with the ATH-M40's, is that they emphasised clarity over fullness.
I don't particularly need the clarity they provided, and would much rather have the punch in my music.

I'm not an aficionado of phones quite yet, the only benchmarks I have right now, are some Senn HD457, some in-ear Goldring GX200's and my broken pair of Koss 3AA's (which I used to love the sound of!)

Tomorrow I will go back to the store and buy the D1001's!

Feb 27, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #27 of 30
Umm.. my reasons for not taking my Senns are:

The Sit-ontop-of-your-ear style of the HD457's get uncomfortable for me pretty quickly, let alone a 14 hour coach journey!
redface.gif

Also, they are a little muddy, as soon as any bass gets involved, the rest of the sound gets distorted and it's just plain annoying!

Plus they are open!

I'm also kind of using the trip as an excuse to get myself some good phones that I need anyway!

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by as.we.proceed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how are those HD205's?? i think youre the only person here that has those.are they just like k81dj?

HD205 are owned by many more here...one of the best in the HD20X series

HD205 offer much better isolation, their sound is more detailed comparitively..although the vocals sound kinda harsh on them compared to softness in the mids of K81dj... K81DJ's earcups are much smaller also i noticed.

bass is definitely better on HD205...not bloatier..but tighter and has an impact.

they have rotatable earcups for one side monitoring.

one issue with HD205 is they are quite tight on the head...unless u clamp them on a box of tissues or thick books..they loosen up.

if u are in the club or DJing. HD205 are more suitable imo ...their earpads are thick..so ears can get sweaty for long durations.

if u r walking around on streets,,the lighter and less isolating K81DJ is better...the vocals sound smoother on them too.

Mar 2, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #29 of 30
OK everyone: thanks to your advice on the Denon D1001's, I went and bought them!

The isolation is much better than the ATH's and the sound is usually perfect!
I feel the ATH's were perhaps a little clearer, but man do these pack a punch!
L3000.gif

The music from my ipod is much more vivid and alive now, and I got goosebumps from a few tracks! Using the ATH M40fs' The same songs were just.. average!
Perhaps this is just because of the impedance, but I'm sure these are way above the mark of the M40s.

They are very comfortable to wear, although my ears may get a little hot when wearing them for a couple of hours. Not a big problem.

I mentioned the isolation, you were right about outside sound being let in, but at mid level volume, all you can hear is your music.
I see this as a good point, as I like to be aware of my surroundings anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

The sound escaping from them is much less than the ATH's and I'm very happy with that. whoever's next to me on the coach will read/sleep in peace!

I said just now the sound is usually perfect. Now and again, the tracks seem a little too harsh, or a little too muddy.
I'm pretty sure it's my source, perhaps a low bitrate on certain tracks.
When I try to compensate for this with the EQ setting on the ipod, the sounds sometimes gets a little crackly. hopefully this will go away with burn-in.

When I play a lossless format, or plug them into my PC, the sound is nothing short of beautiful. the bass is punchy but not too thick, and the treble sits just right with my ears! Also, when used with the PC, the bass vibrates around my ears, which I love
biggrin.gif

So in short, I'm extremely happy!
Thankyou everyone who recommended I go back and get the D1001's!

I recommend them to anyone in a similar position. They are an extremely good closed phone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back