Headphones Movies/Gaming/Music Low Budget
Oct 19, 2011 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

magikmike

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm new to your forum, consider myslef as newbe in audio department. I've been studing all treads for few days, and more I read, more confused I am. Just for start my budget is about $100 for headset.
I started form looking for gaming set, but after few hours you conviced me to have a look of proper headset, becouse my priority was movies then gaming and music(won't even mention crap sound quality).
Just cannot find golden middle between good sound stage and crisp base in this price range. I might consider buying amp if necessary. I would opt on open headset as they have wider sound stage.

Any advice is welcome.

Edited: LOL not sure if this tread  is in right place. Admin please move it to proper department. Thanks

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 13
I started with the AD700, but that's being regarded as an overrated headphone these days due to lack of bass.

If you had $20 more to add to that budget, a certain someone would throw you a Fischer Audio FA-011 recommendation...but I haven't heard that one. For $50, it would be the Samson SR850/Superlux HD668B, neither of which I've heard, but generally regarded as "AD700s with bass". Either that, or the Panasonic RP-HTF600 ($30) with Beyerdynamic velour pads ($20), which I actually do have (well, not the pads), but still need more time to review them properly for gaming, having received them just yesterday. (For music and movies, it's got punchy bass that goes deep, no EQ needed, but the mids and highs aren't compromised to attain that, either.)

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 13
I don't think there's anything overrated about the ATH-AD700.  They are very easy to drive and the sound quality is excellent.  They are currently going for around $90 on Amazon.

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 13
Well, to be fair, those who really rail against the AD700 are...wait for it...bassheads.

They're certainly not bad at what they do well. Wide soundstage, comfortable, and detailed. I just sold mine because I got another headphone system that does those things even better, with even more of an airy, ambient presentation...but it's to be expected when it cost me about three times as much (and yet it's still a rather low price given what they are).

Oct 20, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 13
Thanks guys.
You mention again and again AD700. I'm pretty much decided for this set, just don't want to be dissapointed
 with lack of base. I'm not a base head, but I love good punch in the movies or playing BF3. Oh yes, the only game probably I'll be playing is BF3 so good positioning would be a plus.
Well regarding the other suggested sets, they are bit more expensive here in europe where I live.
Is there no compromise between sound stage(wider), good base(not overpowering), positioning in this price range?

Oct 20, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #6 of 13
I can heartily recommend the Superlux HD668b with velour pads. Good highs/mids/lows and decent soundstage. I use them for everything at home.  

Oct 22, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #7 of 13
What source(s) are you going to be plugging these headphones into?

Oct 22, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #8 of 13
Well, still cannot decide between xonar dg nad dx. I have to change entire guts of my rig which gonna cost me a bit, so this depends what left from the budget.
Is there big difference between those cards apart of 5.1 vs 7.1 ? Worth of spending extra 25£?

Oct 22, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #9 of 13
I don't think it's going to make a massive difference with headphones, if you're a bit short on cash the DG will probably do the job fine and leave you with a bit more headroom to upgrade the rest of your rig. 

Oct 22, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #10 of 13
Just get the DG. And imo I'd go with AD700s if you are going to watch a lot of movies and do a lot of gaming. They might have weak bass, but it is still there and you get used to it. Worst case scenario, you can't stand the ad700s and you have to send them back, but I doubt that will happen. Besides the ad700, I'd look into the AKG K 240 studio for $98. It's semi-open and amazingly comfortable. They also have present bass, but it sounds good not overwhelming.

Oct 22, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #11 of 13
The ATH-AD700s were my first quality headphones, quality sound, light on the head, comfortable.
Great for easy TV listening or music to relax to, but the lack of bass leaves one wanting.
I still own them, but never use them now.

The Xonar DX (PCI-Expess) would be best for analog 5.1 speakers (has 6 op-amps) and decently powers headphones.
But I would say go for the Xonar DG (PCI), it has a dedicated headphone amplifier with support for 3 different Ohm settings.
And it's way cheaper, might even have a mail in rebate.
Which leaves more money for the headphones.

Superlux HD-668B (bass) or HD-662F (balenced)

Panasonic RP-HTF-600-S (with Velour pads)

Oct 22, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #12 of 13
Hi guys.
Thanks for your replays and time.
It looks like Samson or Superflux headphones will be a winner. I never heard about any of those brands, but after so many of you recommending them there is no point to look for just bit more expensive stuff.
About Xonar DX or DG, can someone point the main difference between them. The price gap is huge, so what is so special about DX making them twice more expensive. If the futures are the same, both have Dolby3d and will perform the same in movies/games, is it only 5.1 vs 7.1 I would have to pay extra?

Oct 22, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Hi guys.
Thanks for your replays and time.
It looks like Samson or Superflux headphones will be a winner. I never heard about any of those brands, but after so many of you recommending them there is no point to look for just bit more expensive stuff.
About Xonar DX or DG, can someone point the main difference between them. The price gap is huge, so what is so special about DX making them twice more expensive. If the futures are the same, both have Dolby3d and will perform the same in movies/games, is it only 5.1 vs 7.1 I would have to pay extra?

The DX came out before the DG, the DX is something to be price competitive (guess) with the Creative Labs Titanium (non-HD).
The DX fully supports Blu-ray sound (CMI8788 audio chip,192kHz, 7.1).
The DG came out later, using an slightly older audio chip (CMI8768, 96kHz, 5.1)
My guess is Asus got a good price deal on the CMI8768.
Asus may not be making any money off the DG, it does undercut price wise anything that Creative Labs has to offer.
No other sound card in the DG's price range offers a headphone amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back