Headphones most like speakers
Mar 16, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #16 of 59
^^ Guess he's a basshead and needs a Denon.

In term of sound quality in overall, it's hard to beat stuff like HD600 with cheap speakers. But a pair of nice 4-way speakers? Ouch!

Speakers and headphones are different in the first place tho.

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #17 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean full as in bass and a filling kind of sound? Lots of headphones are lite in the bass (including the K1000). I consider the HD580/HD600 to be a little lite in the bass as well (it doesn't fill the bass like speakers do or do the low stuff the way speakers do). So is it the bass? There's more to bass than just the hip hop boom boom club kind of bass sound. Good solid filling bass is nice and is what I think of as a fuller sound for a headphone.

It's hard to describe my 4-way Aiwa speaker sound. Good imaging? Spacing? Musical? Full Sound? Smoothness? My HD 580s sound so thin and mono compared to them.

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #21 of 59
If you're playing the HD580 direct from your Sony portable then the poor HD580 are going to be feeling a little thin and claustrophobic. They do need an amp to open up the soundstage and make them sound more full. But they're still HD580 and will by nature always have a reserved kind of sound even with the best amps. They're very good at what they do but they're never going to be a headphone that does it all.

A dirty secret is that the HD580/HD600 sound better louder. They are always begging in a subliminal way to be turned up. The sound fills in better and they just sound better the louder you go (within reason, don't listen above safe levels). Contrast that with my Denon D2000 and my Grado SR60 (and other Grados) which don't beg in the same way to be turned up and sometimes subliminally get me to turn them down. So you need an amp for the HD580 that can get them loud enough and still have enough reserve and headroom. Otherwise the headphones suffer.

Do you have access to a home stereo amp that has a good headphone out? If it's a good quality amp and uses a resistor network for the headphone out (rather than a potentially underpowered dedicated headphone amp) it could do a fine job of letting you test the HD580 with something better than your Sony portable. Resistor networks off the power amp will have a high output impedance. The HD580 also has a high impedance so it all works out fine. It will give you something to test the HD580 with and hear closer to what they are capable of. I used my HD580 for over a decade off of a good home stereo amp that used a resistor network. It worked OK. My dedicated amp is better, but it's just matters of degree and not a night and day kind of thing.

But in the end I think you're secretly wanting a Denon D2000. They do have a more speaker-like fullness of sound especially in the bass (did I mention that I might be a basshead). Less soundstage though than the HD580. And the recessed midrange of the D2000 makes them less ideal for some types of music.

There is no one perfect headphone.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #22 of 59
Ultrasone zino sounds quite similar to my poorly placed surround sound speaker system (ie sound all around but not really accurate), I managed to find one for $80 shipped but probably got lucky, if you could find it for $90 somewhere that price is decent for these headphones I think. Probably rmcaudiodirect.com could do $75 if you apply the 25% off headphones discount. Imo you have to give them at least 100 hours of low-medium volume music burn-in before they sound right.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #23 of 59
For $150... no not really. The only thing I have heard that comes close to home theatre sound is the D7000... and that's considerably more moolah.

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #24 of 59
I have never listen to a pair of K1000 but from all of the headphones I own, have onwned or listened to IMO the ones that provide the closest soundstage presentation to speakers sound is the HD800. Now if you are refeing as "full presentation" to warmth of sound and bass then the D7000.

For under $150 probably your best bet could be the D1000 but again you will not get all what you are looking for ina sub $150 headphone... just my opinion.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 16, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #25 of 59
Absolutely you need the Sennheiser HD 800's or the DENON AH-D7000's...high end headphones with a great bass response. They dont fin in your budget though...
confused_face.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #26 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by hurryup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know it is the K1000, but are there any headphones below $150 that will sound like speakers?

No. But there are speakers, which sound better than most headphones at that price. Get the M-Audio AV40 and you're all set.

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #27 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by hurryup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AKG K1000 has no competitors below $150?

Why would it, it cost I think $650 new? And that was underpricing it by a lot. Nothing under $150 should come anywhere near it.

As far as speaker-like sound goes, really the only cans that come to mind are Denons, JVC DX1000, and Ultrasones (primarily Denons though).

EDIT: I'm sorry I should have made this more clear the first time around, I was recommending those based off of a home theater perspective. They match up to speakers in home theater, but soundstage-wise are nowhere close. HD800 are the only cans I've heard that have a soundstage that makes you feel like you're listening to speakers.

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #29 of 59
I dont rly understand why you would want to have a headphone that sounds like a pair of speakers?
Speakers are speakers and headphones are headphones.
Maybe its me, but if you want something that sounds like speakers, why dont you just buy a pair of speakers?
To me this sounds a bit like searching for a car that drives like a motorcycle or something :p

Oh and btw, I'd rather have a pair of speakers than those AKG K1000, cuz their just plane ugly. But thats my opinion.

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #30 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Must we?
confused_face.gif

Never mind. I was not in the mood when I posted it
tongue.gif

Quote:

Why would it, it cost I think $650 new? And that was underpricing it by a lot. Nothing under $150 should come anywhere near it.

K1000 was $650 new? How about today someone put a like new one up for sale?

Quote:

For $150... no not really. The only thing I have heard that comes close to home theatre sound is the D7000... and that's considerably more moolah.

From what I heard from D5000, I agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back