Headphones, MacBook, amp?
Oct 3, 2007 at 5:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

madman91

Head-Fier
Hey guys,
I am a novice when it comes to headphones/audio equipment. I only know some of the specifications and know which numbers are good and which numbers are bad
rolleyes.gif
. So here are my questions::

1. What is a good pair of headphones that I could purchase. I am looking for headphones no more than 500$ .. unless they are __truly__ superb. They don't have to be very comfortable, but it would be nice for me to wear them for several hours. I would use these headphones with a MacBook. (And these would never be travel headphones, just for listening in a quiet room).

2. How are MacBooks when speaking of audio quality? Will I need an amplifier to enhance the sound? Or am I looking for the wrong thing?

3. If an amplifier is necessary, how much is that? What do I look for?

Thank you!

P.S. If some of these questions are ones that are _too_ commonly answered, please let me know, I will do my best to find it on my own.

Oct 3, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #2 of 28
It would be nice to know what type of music you listen to, and how much you would like to spend on your audio rig in total and if you need isolation or not or if you need to be portable or not.

if you can answer those, I can probably help you
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be nice to know what type of music you listen to, and how much you would like to spend on your audio rig in total and if you need isolation or not or if you need to be portable or not.

if you can answer those, I can probably help you
biggrin.gif

I listen to mostly rock/roll.. but thats %55 .. The rest is varied throughout most all else. I enjoy some high quality classical as well.. Also, I don't really care how the quality is for the rest of the music, I enjoy beatles-like rock and classical.

I am looking at $700 for everything. Unless of course, 730$ is 30x better.

Isolation is not necessary, I will usually be in a quite room, but it doesn't hurt (as long as it doesn't effect the sound).

Not portable, on a chair/floor/bed...

Thanks!

Oct 3, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #4 of 28
since you have an optical out on your macbook, you should definitely get a decent dac, something in your price range should be the Opus DIY balanced DAC. And for amps, I'm thinking something that matches well with senns, which IMO do rock and classical very well. Maybe something like a CKKIII (DIY headphone amp) + Sennheiser HD 580 would sound great. All the DIY work can be done by a builder such as MisterX or rockhopper audio.

So total price would be ~ $300(dac) + $250(amp) + $180(headphones) + $70(wires and misc things) = $800

Slightly over your budget, but I've heard the CKKIII and the 580 combo, and it sounds amazing. I'm sure you'll definitely be impressed with this

Oct 3, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

since you have an optical out on your macbook, you should definitely get a decent dac, something in your price range should be the Opus DIY balanced DAC. And for amps, I'm thinking something that matches well with senns, which IMO do rock and classical very well. Maybe something like a CKKIII (DIY headphone amp) + Sennheiser HD 580 would sound great. All the DIY work can be done by a builder such as MisterX or rockhopper audio.

So total price would be ~ $300(dac) + $250(amp) + $180(headphones) + $70(wires and misc things) = $800

Slightly over your budget, but I've heard the CKKIII and the 580 combo, and it sounds amazing. I'm sure you'll definitely be impressed with this

Hey, thanks for the quick replies.
I noticed you listen to Justice, great stuff
smily_headphones1.gif
I listen to that as well...

Anyways,
I can't find the CKKIII you speak of. Maybe its called CK2III , or maybe I am searching incorrectly?

Oct 3, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by madman91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, thanks for the quick replies.
I noticed you listen to Justice, great stuff
smily_headphones1.gif
I listen to that as well...

Anyways,
I can't find the CKKIII you speak of. Maybe its called CK2III , or maybe I am searching incorrectly?

yea its called the CKKIII or CK2I3 or CK2III or something like that. By the way, Justice - Let there be Light + hd580s + ckkIII = mind blowing bass. The ckkIII is such a good amp for the 580s imo.

and no problem, I like to find a random noobie and help them fully though their audio journey!

Oct 3, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

yea its called the CKKIII or CK2I3 or CK2III or something like that. By the way, Justice - Let there be Light + hd580s + ckkIII = mind blowing bass. The ckkIII is such a good amp for the 580s imo.

and no problem, I like to find a random noobie and help them fully though their audio journey!

Congratulations, I can no longer not buy these. I must purchase them, it has been put on my list.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways, they are called CK2III as according to this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...=224394&page=3

I was wondering if it were possible for the DIY to actually be DIY... I will probably be buying these individually, thus allowing for large time intervals. Or is this completely beyond my reach? Also, on that thread, I noticed people had to buy certain parts to build onto their amps.. Is there a place where I can find all the compatible parts to buy?

Thanks again,
I really appreciate your help.

P.S.
Entech Number Cruncher 203.2
I noticed that in your little -> -> diagram. Is that an equalizer?

Oct 3, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Congratulations, I can no longer not buy these. I must purchase them, it has been put on my list.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways, they are called CK2III as according to this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...=224394&page=3

Right I always forget what theyre correctly called. My CK2III is being recased as we speak and I miss them (as well as my 580s) so much
frown.gif

Quote:

I was wondering if it were possible for the DIY to actually be DIY... I will probably be buying these individually, thus allowing for large time intervals. Or is this completely beyond my reach? Also, on that thread, I noticed people had to buy certain parts to build onto their amps.. Is there a place where I can find all the compatible parts to buy?

If you have the DIY skills (soldering, drilling, wiring, ability to read schematics etc), it shouldnt be THAT difficult to build it yourself. Being the clumsy person I am, I decided to get it built by a friend whos MUCH better at DIY then I am. You can buy the circuit board here and you need to get the other parts at mouser and/or digikey.

Quote:

Thanks again,
I really appreciate your help.

no problem!

Quote:

P.S.
Entech Number Cruncher 203.2
I noticed that in your little -> -> diagram. Is that an equalizer?

The entech is a dac, like the Opus dac. But the Opus dac should be miles ahead of my cheap little entech. One of my next purchases is going to be an Opus DAC.
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 7:47 AM Post #9 of 28
Hi..

I would recommend foregoing the DAC/AMP route and begin with the best headphones you can afford.

Your Mac as source is actually better than most PC sources and and you will always get the most bang for your buck if you focus on your transducers first.

Any appreciable enhancements from a separate DAC under $800 will not yield much in way of sonic differences.

Grado's...say RS-2 (used) or my recommendation of a good used RS-1 for about $600 will give you very satisfying sound without requiring an amp...your headphone out is quite adequate to drive a 32ohm headphone.

Should you get the upgrade bug later on...by all means focus on a better source/amp/dac in that order.

Oct 3, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #10 of 28
You *can* run any headphone without amplification, but running an RS-1 without an amp is an injustice to the as much as it is an injustice to run an HD650 without an amp.

Oct 3, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #11 of 28
if you're getting someone to build you a DIY AMP (best bang for buck and usually far better than anything commercial in the price range), you could probably get an Alien DAC built for less than 100$, its a really great little USB DAC that can keep you happy for a long while. something like an M^3, or a Millet Hybrid MAX built should go for under 300$, or thereabout.. and great cans@300$ are easy to find.. dont worry about 'street price', there are places to find cans at good prices and loads of great cans circulating the for-sale sections.. but, I'd begin with the cans and build the system around that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmckay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any appreciable enhancements from a separate DAC under $800 will not yield much in way of sonic differences.

I've got to disagree on that one though, cause even the little Alien DAC (36$ as a diy kit just missing some wire, output jacks and an enclosure, some solder and time) offers a rather significant upgrade to most any headphone out and gives some more expensive DACs a bit of competition.. I'm not saying there wont be a significant difference between it and an 800$ DAC, but it kicks headphone-out butt..

now, about un-amped cans.. yeah, low impedance cans can be driven with h.p out.. but so much unused potential, its kind of sad.. I see where you're getting at though, cause the rest is added later..

also, there are some DACs with supposedly really decent headphone outs capable of sufficiently powering most cans, too. not sure which but I've read about many happy head-fiers running straight from their DACs.

...AND.. if you're leaning towards DIY, you'll find the documentation, tutorials, concise details for every amp(parts, which, why, what they do and where from, etc) and mostly the support the designers themselves and community give here are brilliant, if you've got a steady hand and a keen mind, welcome!
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #12 of 28
Yup all good options, but I've heard most of the other DIY options except the millet max
frown.gif
and I still think that, not counting the Beta22, the CK2III is the best match for senns. and I'm sure the OPUS dac will kick the little Alien Dacs butt!

Oct 3, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #13 of 28
HD650 + Corda Move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back