Headphones like UE Super.Fi 5 EB
Mar 1, 2009 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JesperZ

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. I'm looking for headphones that sounds like Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Extended Bass. I got those in-ears myself, but I prefer only to use them with my mp3 player. I will be using the headphones with my pc, which has a Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic sound card. The bass has to just as good as the in-ears, and the mids and highs has to be equal or better. My budget is around $300, and I live en Europe so if i have to import from USA please take import taxes into consideration. It's usually 33% of the product price.

I googled but couldn't find anything, so I really hope someone in here will help me. Thanks in advance
atsmile.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 13
Mar 1, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 13
Unfortunately the Denon AHD 5000's are way over my budget. I already found these but they're just too expensive for my current budget. Maybe another time.

Is there any difference in the sound between A-/AD900?

I prefer not having to amp the headphone, so I do not find the Sennheiser interesting either.

Thanks for the answer
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 13
I for one have jumped on the Denon Train and another choice would be the AHD2000's they are cheaper to start and most people who have done the Markl Mods, Swear that they're better than even the 7K's. You can do most of the markl mods yourself on the cheap. Everything except the cable upgrade and the "Woodies"

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only owned the A900 closed cans. I would suppose that there would be the standard Closed vs Open difference bewteen them. Less sibilance and wider soundstage with the open AD's but better isoaltion and bass with the Closed A's

I don't need isolation, but is the bass really that much worse on open headphones?

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #7 of 13
They seem promising, but I can't really find anywhere to buy them without importing from the other site of the earth. I can do that, but only if there's no other option. So I was looking at the Beyerdynamic DT-770's which I've heard should sound almost the same, although they need an amp. They're cheaper though, so maybe I could get those and an amp. Any good amps for under $100 which can power up the DT-770's?

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I prefer the A900's (by reading a lot of comparison descriptions between the two. Is there any way to buy this in europe without paying way more than you would in usa?

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #8 of 13
If you are looking for crappy boomy bass, which is the only thing the EB has, the A900 is not for you. Its bass is far more polite than the usual closed back. Go for the DT770.

If you want to hear some quality bass, I'll point you in the direction of the HFI 780 and D2000.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are looking for crappy boomy bass, which is the only thing the EB has, the A900 is not for you. Its bass is far more polite than the usual closed back. Go for the DT770.

If you want to hear some quality bass, I'll point you in the direction of the HFI 780 and D2000.

But the DT770 do need an amp, and i still don't know anything about amps.
I just looked at the HFI 780 and it doesn't seem like it needs an amp so maybe I'll consider that one. One more on the "interesting-list"
tongue.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #10 of 13
Just bought the HFI 780's.. They were available in my own country and on sale, and after reading a lot about the headphone I decided to buy it
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for you help, goes to everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #12 of 13
I just got the HFI 780's today. Plugged em in and got a bit disappointed. They have a very different soundstage compared to my Grado SR80's (not really wider or narrower, just different) and my Grado's actually haev better bass. But I'm guessing that's because they need some burn-in time, but they really do need to turn 180 degrees sound wise or I will not keep them. I will report back when I've given them 50 hours and 100 hours of burn-in time.

Mar 10, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #13 of 13
I will edit this post with further updates.

27 hours of burning in.
They are definitely sounding better. The bass is getting there and the soundstage is much better. They tend to sound a lot better when I press the earpads against my head, since better isolation. Too bad they can't have that kind of isolation all the time.

Almost 50 hours
They don't sound any different to last update. I don't really like the sound since the mids and highs just sound awful compared to my Grado phones and the bass is still not much better than my Grado phones unless I press the ear cups against my head, which actually fixes all the problems more or less. If they don't get to sound any better maybe I'll consider modding them to sit a little tighter on my head, but if that isn't possible it is going to be sold.

Roughly 55 hours
I think my ears are starting to adapt to the sound. There are still some tracks that sound a bit weird in the 250-1000kHz range with these cans, but I guess it's the production quality (or lack here of) of that I'm hearing. Generally, I like them better now, but I will definitely mod them with velour cushins instead of this fake leather they currently have. Both for the comfort, but also the sound. I will look further into cable modding, but currently I don't know enough to draw any conclusions on that point. Maybe, if someone reads this thread, he/she can help me out understanding what it's all about? PM is always appreciated.
I have also noticed that the sound is very depended on how the cans are placed on my head. Even milimeters can make the difference. I can notice a significant change in sound just by turning my head. I'm hoping an ear pad mod can change that, but it's a minor issue if any at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back