Headphones like these, cheaper the better?
Mar 15, 2018 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

newn

New Head-Fier
I have had Superlux HD681 and Beyerdynamic DT990 250ohm and I'm looking for something else that performs about as good and is as cheap as possible (my budget is honestly low - I'm not trying to cheap out).

Superlux had good sound but they were uncomfortable as hell (the paddings especially) and the material got hard in a month or so... I just couldn't use them anymore. I also liked that the sounds from around me were slightly muffled, as I live near a street and without the muffling I can only listen to music at night, and that's annoying.

DT990 were very comfortable until the padding wore out after many months of use and I liked the sound quality, but I didn't like as much that I could hear the cars, as I get easily distracted by noises (unmedicated ADHD). Unfortunately my DT990 were stolen so I can't just change the pads unfortunately.

Right now I'm using in-earphones, which block the sound from outside, but I'd prefer something that goes over my head because it makes the sounds appear more realistic and the bass is just a lot better, not to mention that they don't slip out of my ears (I've tried 4 different sets of the endings), my ears are just not made for earphones.

Could someone suggest something on lower budget that is comfortable and has decent sound quality and preferably some muffling (at least at the level of Superlux)?

I live in Europe, so shipping from the US is not possible unless somehow it bears no 60% custom charges. I would most likely be shopping on eBay UK due to the lowest possible prices, unless someone can suggest a EU site that ships within Western Europe and doesn't have the "professional shop +20% discount" nonsense going on compared to eBay, hahaha.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 17
buy new pads for your current headphones.

Mar 15, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 17
buy new pads for your current headphones.
As I wrote, I only have in-earphones. My DT990 was stolen, which I will add if I can edit the post so others won't get confused either. Sorry about that.
It sounds from your description like what you really want is a closed headphone for its superior isolation. What is your budget?
My budget is maybe up to 100eu. Although I'd prefer to spend a lot less if possible. I have very limited about of cash and want to at least be able to properly enjoy music, as it's one thing in my life that makes me happier (or used to while I had 990). In-earphones don't really do the trick.

Mar 15, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 17
A used pair of DT770s or new, not that much cash.
Closed back equivalent of the DT990

Mar 15, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 17
A used pair of DT770s or new, not that much cash.
Closed back equivalent of the DT990
Both of those go for around 135eu from what I could find. That is my last-resort kinda option, as I would prefer something else really, as I like not buying the same thing twice. Also of course 135eu is much more than I'd like to spend (I spend 40eu per month on food). I have already looked for used ones before, since that was the first thing that I know would work 100% and used ones should be cheaper. But 135 isn't much cheaper from what I see. That price is with shipping of course, which is around 25eu.

Mar 15, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 17
As I wrote, I only have in-earphones. My DT990 was stolen, which I will add if I can edit the post so others won't get confused either. Sorry about that.

My budget is maybe up to 100eu. Although I'd prefer to spend a lot less if possible. I have very limited about of cash and want to at least be able to properly enjoy music, as it's one thing in my life that makes me happier (or used to while I had 990). In-earphones don't really do the trick.
I wonder if an M30X would work for you. It has pretty good sound quality and is reasonably priced. You might read about it and see what you think. It is possible it could work for youx

Mar 15, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 17
Hi Newn,

Just a suggestion but have you looked in any pro audio shops for what you're replacing as Beyers generally are the best value deal wise compared to standard retail.

Mar 16, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #9 of 17
I wonder if an M30X would work for you. It has pretty good sound quality and is reasonably priced. You might read about it and see what you think. It is possible it could work for youx

That's possible. I cannot try them, so I would need some more to go on here. :) I will read further about them in a couple of hours. I was also looking at AKG K52, 72 and 92 myself. I also cannot try any of these, as the electronics shops here have the really cheap crappy gamer-based headphones of unknown companies or more popular Logitech and such headphones, and most are not even available for trying.

Hi Newn,

Just a suggestion but have you looked in any pro audio shops for what you're replacing as Beyers generally are the best value deal wise compared to standard retail.
Unfortunately there are no audio shops here - the town is too small, haha.

Mar 16, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #10 of 17
Could someone suggest something on lower budget that is comfortable and has decent sound quality and preferably some muffling (at least at the level of Superlux)?

I live in Europe, so shipping from the US is not possible unless somehow it bears no 60% custom charges. I would most likely be shopping on eBay UK due to the lowest possible prices, unless someone can suggest a EU site that ships within Western Europe and doesn't have the "professional shop +20% discount" nonsense going on compared to eBay, hahaha.

Superlux HD660. Basically a lower sensitivity, 150ohm DT770 with the bass on steroids.

Mar 16, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #11 of 17
Superlux HD660. Basically a lower sensitivity, 150ohm DT770 with the bass on steroids.
Wow, they look like a really high-end headphones! I was very skeptical before googling because of my experience with Superlux and its cracking and hardening leather making them unusable in a month, but these look really great!

Wonder if I can use 681 velour pads on them? That would be extra 8.5eu if I ordered them together, which is fine by me. And also I wonder if they would touch my ears?

Mar 16, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #12 of 17
I recently picked up a set of the Audio-Technica ATH-WS1100iS as a gym headphone and cannot believe how good they are--amazon has them for $ 120 brand new and the quality is seriously good--GREAT bass, full mids and a nice pleasant highs. I own several flagship high end models--Focal Utopia, Fostex TH 900 Shure 1540, Noble Encore IEM and these AT satisfy my sound quality requirements---I would check them out--like me you may be totally blown away.

Mar 16, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #13 of 17
I recently picked up a set of the Audio-Technica ATH-WS1100iS as a gym headphone and cannot believe how good they are--amazon has them for $ 120 brand new and the quality is seriously good--GREAT bass, full mids and a nice pleasant highs. I own several flagship high end models--Focal Utopia, Fostex TH 900 Shure 1540, Noble Encore IEM and these AT satisfy my sound quality requirements---I would check them out--like me you may be totally blown away.
Unfortunately I could only find them for about twice that price that deliver within EU. :/ Amazon only goes as far as the UK.

Mar 16, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #14 of 17
Wow, they look like a really high-end headphones! I was very skeptical before googling because of my experience with Superlux and its cracking and hardening leather making them unusable in a month, but these look really great!

Wonder if I can use 681 velour pads on them? That would be extra 8.5eu if I ordered them together, which is fine by me. And also I wonder if they would touch my ears?

I replaced the earpads on my HD330 soon after, not so much because of the cracking faux leather (they lasted longer than I thought they would given my acidic sweat actually) but because the opening in the middle was small enough they couldn't fit my earlobes properly. I'm using some generic third party pads for the DT770 - fits and better around my earlobes (not K701 plush but still good) and the velour doesn't itch unlike the faux leather.

Mar 17, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #15 of 17
I replaced the earpads on my HD330 soon after, not so much because of the cracking faux leather (they lasted longer than I thought they would given my acidic sweat actually) but because the opening in the middle was small enough they couldn't fit my earlobes properly. I'm using some generic third party pads for the DT770 - fits and better around my earlobes (not K701 plush but still good) and the velour doesn't itch unlike the faux leather.
Where did you find the "generic" type? I can only find DT770 pads for around 25eu, but I also don't think that they are the generic type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back