Headphones just for Home Theater
Jul 10, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:
I really appreaciate the detailed response.
I have an Onkyo RC-180. Back in the day it was really impressive. http://www.digitaltrends.com/receivers-separates-amps-reviews/onkyo-ht-rc180-review/
My current set-up uses the HDMI from my video card and the HDMI from the PS3. The surround works fine on both the PC and the PS3 using the HDMI. My room has 7 channels and both the PC and PS3 utilize them correctly.
I also have a sound card somewhere collecting dust. I don't remember the brand on the top of my head.

I would say not to bother with buying an add-on external headphone amplifier, just get the best headphone for your budget.
I also like the idea of using HDMI to connect stuff.

I personally believe that most modern A/V receivers do not offer a true Headphone Surround Sound.
Other who maybe smarter then me says they do.
I do try to find evidence that shows that receivers come with true headphone surround sound.
Just hard to find detailed evidence, and some receivers brands do come with "fake" headphone surround sound, it's more like "expanded stereo"
If your Onkyo sounds good to you, great.

The Onkyo would work best with headphones in the 150-Ohm to 600-Ohm range.
Also AKG 7XX series (62-Ohm) and AKG 6XX series (120-Ohm) should also work well.
My 50-Ohm Sennheiser HD558s work well with my receiver.

Jul 11, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #18 of 22
Yesterday I plugged my M50's into my receiver and tried out the video from the MLE guide:

The M50's did OK for positional cues. As the guy moved around I was able to hear where the shots were coming from.

So my last question, with a budget of $500. What are the best headphones for movies. I'm leaning towards the DT 990 250 Ohm premium. Amazon has it for $340. Even though the Fidelio looks nicer, I'm worried about fitment as my head is rather large

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #19 of 22
Yesterday I plugged my M50's into my receiver and tried out the video from the MLE guide:

The M50's did OK for positional cues. As the guy moved around I was able to hear where the shots were coming from.

So my last question, with a budget of $500. What are the best headphones for movies. I'm leaning towards the DT 990 250 Ohm premium. Amazon has it for $340. Even though the Fidelio looks nicer, I'm worried about fitment as my head is rather large

I haven't heard the DT990s. But from everything I have read, the DT990 250 Premiums are probably not $170 better than the DT990 250 Pros, which are only $170 on Amazon. For that difference in money, you could pick up the Astro Mixamp and connect it via optical to your console or your computer.

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #20 of 22
Then get a dt 880 or dt 990

Jul 11, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:
I haven't heard the DT990s. But from everything I have read, the DT990 250 Premiums are probably not $170 better than the DT990 250 Pros, which are only $170 on Amazon. For that difference in money, you could pick up the Astro Mixamp and connect it via optical to your console or your computer.

The DT990 Pro's and premium are pretty similar soundwise, i'd go for the cheaper ones. 

Jul 11, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #22 of 22
Go Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back