Headphones just for Home Theater
Jul 9, 2013 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

surrealmethod

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I've been searching around the forums but I must be searching for the wrong terms. I currently own a pair of ATH-M50s that I use in my office for music that I bought based on reviews on this forum. The detail and comfort are the best I've tried. But now I need to purchase a new set of headphones for home. My only problem is that the set for home will be used for movies and video games. I found the thread for video game headphones (http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-5-23-2013-mrspeakers-mad-dog-v-3-2-reviewed) But the primary reason for the cans will be HT so I don't want to rely solely on this guide.

I was leaning towards the Sennheiser HD650 and I'm happy to see it does a decent job in gaming. But I can't seem to find any reviews for these in a Home Theater setting.

I hope I can use my HT amp as the amp for the headphones, or should I buy a dedicated headphone amp?

Any advice or suggestions will be most appreciated. My budget for the cans is around $300-$500.

My current Home Audio:
- Klipsch Reference Speakers with a few extra subs
- Onkyo 11 channel amp

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #3 of 22
Are you planning to watch movies with Dolby Headphone/THX Tru Studio Pro/Headzone or plain stereo? 

MLE guide fits movies very well imo (if used with DHP) as he also focuses on immersive qualities of headphones not just competitiveness. The more you get from both the better. Something like D7000s, TH-600, T1 do superbly for movies. If you go lower (or also need closed/isolating) something along T90, DT990, DT770, Fidelio X1 do a great job as well.

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 22
I'm not 100% sure if my amp has any extra settings for the audio jack. So I guess I will assume it's stereo. That's a great point though, I would like surround sound if possible. I will have to research this to see what is needed for surround.

Sound isolation is of no concern, I'll be watching the movies in a quiet room.

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:
Are you planning to watch movies with Dolby Headphone/THX Tru Studio Pro/Headzone or plain stereo? 

MLE guide fits movies very well imo (if used with DHP) as he also focuses on immersive qualities of headphones not just competitiveness. The more you get from both the better. Something like D7000s, TH-600, T1 do superbly for movies. If you go lower (or also need closed/isolating) something along T90, DT990, DT770, Fidelio X1 do a great job as well.

I've been looking into the cans you mentioned, unfortunately many are over the budget and unless they're God tier instant panty dropper by just wearing them out in public... I can't justify spending that much at this point in time.

I found these prices:

DT990 ($360) MLE gave stellar reviews
DT770 ($180) MLE guide wasn't impressed with these
Fidelio X1 ($275) No review by MLE but gorgeous looking headphones

MLE had better scores on the HiFiMAN HE-400($400) when compared to the HD650 ($485). So perhaps I can save some money and buy a different set.

I'm still researching whether or not my HT amp can do anything more than just stereo on the headphone jack. I guess I can test it out today with my M50's.

Jul 9, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #6 of 22
MLE's review of the X1 will be coming in a few days if i remember correctly and to spoil it: the X1 will be rated pretty good. 

I only know of the Yamaha receivers to offer a virtualization solution: Silent Cinema.

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:
I've been searching around the forums but I must be searching for the wrong terms. I currently own a pair of ATH-M50s that I use in my office for music that I bought based on reviews on this forum. The detail and comfort are the best I've tried. But now I need to purchase a new set of headphones for home. My only problem is that the set for home will be used for movies and video games. I found the thread for video game headphones (http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-5-23-2013-mrspeakers-mad-dog-v-3-2-reviewed) But the primary reason for the cans will be HT so I don't want to rely solely on this guide.
I was leaning towards the Sennheiser HD650 and I'm happy to see it does a decent job in gaming. But I can't seem to find any reviews for these in a Home Theater setting.
I hope I can use my HT amp as the amp for the headphones, or should I buy a dedicated headphone amp?
Any advice or suggestions will be most appreciated. My budget for the cans is around $300-$500.
My current Home Audio:
- Klipsch Reference Speakers with a few extra subs
- Onkyo 11 channel amp

Chances are your Onkyo amplifier does not offer any Headphone Surround Sound processing.
Which gaming? console gaming?

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:
I hear you. So I guess I'll have to invest in some sort of virtual sound device thing.

My top concern is movies. Gaming is secondary and will be done on the PS3/PS4 and the PC.

Can you amplify a signal that has been processed and still maintain the processing?

Can i put a device in between my source and the amp to give it surround and then amplify it using my onkyo?

Or am I better off going the route the PC gamers do with a soundcard?

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:
Can you amplify a signal that has been processed and still maintain the processing?
Can I put a device in between my source and the amp to give it surround and then amplify it using my Onkyo?
Or am I better off going the route the PC gamers do with a sound card?

Which model Onkyo amplifier is it?

You could run a S/PDIF optical or coaxial cable from the PC motherboard to the Onkyo, use whatever features the motherboard's built in audio offers. And plug the Senn HD-650 or Beyer DT770/DT880/DT990 in the Onkyo's headphone jack

You can run optical from the PS3/PS4 to the Onkyo, but it would be stereo audio, unless the PS3/PS4 came with the ability to pre-process a signal into Headphone Surround Sound.
(In the future the Play Station might come with DTS Headphone Surround Sound, maybe?)

You could buy a low cost computer sound card like the Asus Xonar DG, $30 and Amazon offers a $10 mail in rebate, plug an optical cable from DG to the Onkyo.

With the PS3/PS4, most people would use a Astro Mix-amp (surround sound) hooked up to the PS3/PS4 optical output, but you might need to use a separate headphone amplifier, plugged into the Mix-amps headphone jack, to be able to use some of the headphones your looking into.

If you got headphones like the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X (open) headphones.
(they are only 38-Ohm and very easy to drive)
Digbuy is selling them for $200.
All you would need is the Astro Mix-amp and Xonar DG, no need to buy an extra external headphone amplifier or have to plug the headphones into the Onkyo.

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:
Which model Onkyo amplifier is it?

You could run a S/PDIF optical or coaxial cable from the PC motherboard to the Onkyo, use whatever features the motherboard's built in audio offers. And plug the Senn HD-650 or Beyer DT770/DT880/DT990 in the Onkyo's headphone jack

You can run optical from the PS3/PS4 to the Onkyo, but it would be stereo audio, unless the PS3/PS4 came with the ability to pre-process a signal into Headphone Surround Sound.
(In the future the Play Station might come with DTS Headphone Surround Sound, maybe?)

You could buy a low cost computer sound card like the Asus Xonar DG, $30 and Amazon offers a $10 mail in rebate, plug an optical cable from DG to the Onkyo.

With the PS3/PS4, most people would use a Astro Mix-amp (surround sound) hooked up to the PS3/PS4 optical output, but you might need to use a separate headphone amplifier, plugged into the Mix-amps headphone jack, to be able to use some of the headphones your looking into.

If you got headphones like the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X (open) headphones.
(they are only 38-Ohm and very easy to drive)
Digbuy is selling them for $200.
All you would need is the Astro Mix-amp and Xonar DG, no need to buy an extra external headphone amplifier or have to plug the headphones into the Onkyo.

I really appreaciate the detailed response.

I have an Onkyo RC-180. Back in the day it was really impressive. http://www.digitaltrends.com/receivers-separates-amps-reviews/onkyo-ht-rc180-review/

My current set-up uses the HDMI from my video card and the HDMI from the PS3. The surround works fine on both the PC and the PS3 using the HDMI. My room has 7 channels and both the PC and PS3 utilize them correctly.

I also have a sound card somewhere collecting dust. I don't remember the brand on the top of my head.

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #12 of 22
I would recommend RS 170 to you. Slightly lower than a HD 558 but has surround, bass boost and is wireless. All these three things come in handy for movies, I own it too.

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #13 of 22
I hear you. So I guess I'll have to invest in some sort of virtual sound device thing.

My top concern is movies. Gaming is secondary and will be done on the PS3/PS4 and the PC.

In case you are considering a receiver upgrade, you might be able to find a receiver with Dolby Headphone.

Jul 10, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:
I would recommend RS 170 to you. Slightly lower than a HD 558 but has surround, bass boost and is wireless. All these three things come in handy for movies, I own it too.

I would rather a wired set. I already bought a modmic to go with the headset. Pointless to buy a wireless set and still have the wire from the mic. Thanks for the heads up though, I might consider this as a plan B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back