Headphones inStudio
Mar 16, 2012 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DeadBeats

New Head-Fier
Do audio engineers actually use headphones for mastering albums or is just speakers ?

If it's just speakers then all this babble of hearing what the producer wanted it's not possible with headphones.

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #2 of 4
Of course they do. The majority of end-listener consumers listen either through headphones on their phone/portable player, or their car speakers. The engineers might focus the most attention to the imaging on their monitor speakers, but they have to include headphones in the process considering the amount of people who use them. 

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 4
You know for a fact of just following logic ?
Logic isn't always the way things work
Quote:
Of course they do. The majority of end-listener consumers listen either through headphones on their phone/portable player, or their car speakers. The engineers might focus the most attention to the imaging on their monitor speakers, but they have to include headphones in the process considering the amount of people who use them. 

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 4
I haven't collected a series of proofs on this (but if I did, now would be the time it would be useful...), but I've seen numerous videos of artists and engineers in studios using sony, akg and beyerdynamic headphones for monitoring, and I know that these companies also market some of their products for professional studio use.   

There would be no studio headphones if there were no market for them, right?  

For the most part, I am following logic. I also have anecdotal evidence of some local artists and engineers using headphones for mastering purposes. I do not have undeniable proof that this is a trend, but my experience does at least prove that there are at least some artists/engineers who use headphones in their mastering process.

Surely, many do. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back