Headphones in the Pro Workplace
Oct 22, 2002 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Dusty Chalk

Head-Fi-holic: With headphones would just be a benny.
Quote:

Originally posted by bkelly
That I know of no one is mastering anything with a set of headphones.

No-one masters to one single final output device (no-one with half a brain, anyway). One plays them over every device they can, including, if one is making that kind of music, headphones. Jean-Michel Jarre had to have mastered his music on headphones. I would think that the Cowboy Junkies mastered their Trinity Sessions on headphones (it would only make sense). There's even a member of this here board who is in the professional arena, that does some serious mixing on them.

Conclusion: you are overstating the case in terms of black and white -- it's shades of grey.

Oct 22, 2002 at 2:17 PM Post #2 of 3
Dusty Chalk,

Let me say it like this; I have litterally logged thousands and thousands of hours in pro recording and I have never seen anyone actually mix anything with a set of headphones. Not even a commercial, not a demo -- nothing. Check with "scrypt" another professional in this area and he will tell you the same thing.

When you see musicians in the studio with headphones on it is for monitoring and this may be where people get the idea.

You are right in saying that the more playback systems you use for a reference the better but in the real world their are not enough end users for a headphone mix.

Why the Cowboy Junkies? I don't understand.

Maybe you should PM me since this is getting a little off the subject.

Anyhow, back on target with the "Most Underrated Headphones". I don't understand how the R10 even got on this list since it seems nearly impossile that enough people have heard it to make a complaint.

Best
Brian

Oct 23, 2002 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally posted by bkelly
...I have never seen anyone actually mix anything with a set of headphones...

Well, I would be lying if I said I doubted you. I know they're not pervasive, but it's a big industry, as well, so yours is not necessarily a quality statistical sample. Why do Grado and Beyer market professional headphones? It's not just for the DJ's... Quote:

You are right in saying that the more playback systems you use for a reference the better but in the real world their are not enough end users for a headphone mix.

I strongly disagree with this statement, and not just because of Head-Fi. I see headphones every frikkin' day. Quote:

Why the Cowboy Junkies? I don't understand.

Because it was recorded with a binaural microphone. Quote:

Maybe you should PM me since this is getting a little off the subject.

I would rather have the discussion in public, as others may be able to both contribute to and benefit from the discussion. Perhaps a moderator would be so kind as to separate out these few posts into a separate thread (probably starting with my reaction, I would think). Call it "Headphones in the Pro workplace", perhaps? Either that or one of us should start a new thread. I will refrain from commenting further until something is done. Separate the crap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back