Headphones in Japan
Nov 11, 2002 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ninjai600

New Head-Fier
I am currently living in Japan and I am deciding to buy an MD Player soon. I am also planning on purchasing a decent pair of cans to go with it. I`ve read a alot of good reviews on the Sony MDR-7506`s and would like to know if a portable music source would provide enough juice for these headphones to sound good. Also, are they being sold in Japan under the same model name (MDR-7506)? If not, what then? What are some good e-tailers that sell these beauties and ship their products internationally? Does anyone have any other headphone recommendations for portable use around $100US? Thanks in advance everyone. This forum rocks!

Nov 11, 2002 at 6:40 AM Post #2 of 13
Hmm...

Well, a lot of people on these boards are Audio Technica fans, and they probably feel very jealous of you because their better models are only marketed in east asia. Unfortunately, most of Audio Technica's higher end model lines aren't really that portable.

The Sony MDR-V6 and the Sony MDR-V7506 are basically the same thing, so if they are selling the V6 in Japan, then those are good too. Do not confuse the V6 with the V600, which is an inferior model. The V6/7506 is pretty easily driven by portable units, with a resistance of something like 60 ohms, if my memory serves correctly.

I don't know of too many e-tailers that ship internationally (or at least, I don't know what their policy is on international shipping). Some Ebayer's might be willing to ship internationally, and the V6's can be found there sometimes for good bargains.

Nov 11, 2002 at 6:46 AM Post #3 of 13
Forget all that. Go visit Akihabara and listen to some on display.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 11, 2002 at 9:35 AM Post #4 of 13
welcome to head-fi ninjai600, sorry about your wallet (it never gets old does it
evil_smiley.gif
). portable under $100? well the new hot thing right now is the audio-technica ath-em7 clip-on headphones. definitely check those out if you can.

Nov 11, 2002 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 13
$100 US is about 12,000 yen. Last time I checked (last week?) that wouldn't buy any current model MD player. And it's actually pretty hard to find last year's model even in Akihabara. If you're firm on your budget, you'll have to look for closeouts in the Targets and K-marts of Japan like Daiei. The cheapest players are usually around 15,000

I always recommend the big discount electronics shops like Yodobashi Camera, Big Camera, and Sakuraya because they're everywhere and if you're buying a current model, their prices are just as cheap as the cheapest you can find in Akihabara. And finding that cheapest price in Akihabara will take you hours.

After saying all that the 7506 (I haven't seen V6's here) aren't easily available in the shops I just mentioned. You'll have to go to stores catering to studio people. And my 2 favorite studio equipment places are (you guessed) in Akihabara. The Loax Musical Instrument Shop and a small store on the second floor of the Radio Kaikan (don't know the name).

The dollar is pretty strong in Japan, don't bother mail ordering anything electronic from abroad.

Nov 12, 2002 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 13
yodobashi camera has the 7506 for 18000 yen or something crazy like that. the debatebly equivalent japanese domestic model is the xxx900st. it looks the same but has a blue stripe rather than a red one. there are some threads here that talk about it but it is, on average, around 17000 yen as well. so basically, if you want the v6, order it from overseas, just remember to take the exchange rate into account when you look at the prices. i find that having something shipped to my parents in the states and then having them send it on to me is often cheeper than having a company ship directly to me. finally, after all that, i really recommend the eggo d66 for use with an md player, its often 9000 yen or less. it sounds great, its really small but fits well and it is easily powered by a pmd player.

Nov 12, 2002 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by puck
yodobashi camera has the 7506 for 18000 yen or something crazy like that.

I think this is the first time I ever see a Japanese product which is actually more expensive in Japan than in the USA...
eek.gif

Nov 12, 2002 at 7:04 PM Post #12 of 13
ninjai600,
if you like md, then you should check out the sony mdr d66 eggo headphones. imported to the u.s. they are about $100, so i would imagine in japan (they are "japan only") they would be less. good luck.

Nov 13, 2002 at 3:47 AM Post #13 of 13
Decisions decisions... thanks for all the input guys and gals. I will definitely look into all of the suggestions. I will have trouble getting to akihabara though because I am way out in the countryside (Inaka). Osaka is relatively close however and I know they have an electronics shopping area as well. I'll probably make a trip out there soon. I wonder why the V6/7506 are more expensive here than in the States, or any electronics for that matter because I've seen it too. Heya Puck, do you know of any Japanese websites I can order headphones from? What are you doing in Japan? Keep sending 'em recommendations everyone. Thanks a bunch! BTW, what are some other good audiophile websites?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back