Headphones in iphone vs Laptop
Nov 16, 2013 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kcahmadi

New Head-Fier
I just bought some Audio technica Ath-m50s and they're great except I don't know why when I plug them into my iphone as opposed to my laptop the sound quality increases DRAMATICALLY. There is alot more bass and kick and it is much more clear. I checked the equalizer and that isnt it. Plus my laptop is a new HP dv6t with beats audio so the soundcard should be better than other laptops (beats suck though ahah). Any ideas?

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 19
  " beats audio so the soundcard"

This should go some way towards explaining it. Beats products don't really have the best reputation on here. In general apple does a pretty good job at making their products headphone outputs sound good. Also a lot of laptops just sound bad because there is so many components shoved onto the same board so you get lots of electronic interference.

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 19
Beats Audio seems to mainly crank up the bass and treble, but apparently it's a pain to remove from the computer. When you do get it off or disable it, it lowers the bass and treble EQ, making it seem like Beats Audio is some magical program that adds (a false sense of) dynamics to the music. To me that behavior is similar to malware, and while I'm quite indifferent to Beats headphones, HP computers equipped with Beats Audio should be avoided at all costs. Just my two yen.

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 19
I have had the opposite experience I found that yeah the beats inflates the bass and treble but that's for its target audience. But usually those laptops have good sound cards and actual decent software. I've definitely noticed an edge in clarity over other laptops in blind tests. But eh everyone hears different.

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 19
Beats Audio seems to mainly crank up the bass and treble, but apparently it's a pain to remove from the computer. When you do get it off or disable it, it lowers the bass and treble EQ, making it seem like Beats Audio is some magical program that adds (a false sense of) dynamics to the music. To me that behavior is similar to malware, and while I'm quite indifferent to Beats headphones, HP computers equipped with Beats Audio should be avoided at all costs. Just my two yen.

Yes, that's correct. I read something similar. basically if you turn beats off, it sets the equalizer to negatives on the bass and treble making it tinny sounding.

(lawsuit somewhere?)
I wouldn't care, but the fact they actually reduce sound quality, and u can't have normal settings (without headache) is a problem imo.

Another link http://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/1nr2az/til_that_the_beats_audio_driver_included_with/

@ OP, basically use KJK's link to fix it. otherwise you might just want to invest into a usb dac.

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #10 of 19
  Shouldn't a laptop have a more powerful sound card than an iPhone though and its weird because I get less bass with the laptop then the phone

PC laptops have to be price competitive, the cheaper the on-board audio is, the cheaper it is to manufacture the laptop.
Apple products seem to come with better built in audio hardware, then PC stuff.
People will pay more for something made by Apple, because it has "Apple" printed on it.
A FiiO E10 ($75) USB-DAC-Amp might improve audio, with your laptop.

Nov 22, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #11 of 19
I just bought some Audio technica Ath-m50s and they're great except I don't know why when I plug them into my iphone as opposed to my laptop the sound quality increases DRAMATICALLY. There is alot more bass and kick and it is much more clear. I checked the equalizer and that isnt it. Plus my laptop is a new HP dv6t with beats audio so the soundcard should be better than other laptops (beats suck though ahah). Any ideas?

Ew. Beats are like a virus, and we... Head-Fi are the cure. (Matrix quote)

I was looking at laptops the other day and found an amazing soundcard. Forgot the name. Irrelevant.
If you want good PC audio, forget AUX ports. Buy a decent DAC amp (FiiO E17, Headstage Arrow, PA2V2 amp, Firefly)

I honestly would recommend a Firefly DAC ($150-300) if you just wanted a DAC. FiiO is good, but OK in standards of an EQ. I personally like the EQ, it runs the same as a iApp's EQ but it depends on the app.
It runs on an EQ - Not an algorithm.
DAC and LOD on the FiiO sound great. .

Nov 22, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #12 of 19

HP should be avoided in general. Breaks easily. Has Beats Audio. Forces you to run Windows 8 else warranty void.
Saying that, avoid Dell, Razer, Alienware, Asus and toshiba. The old HPs (pre-beats soundcard) are great.

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #13 of 19
It all depends on what headphones I am using. My V6's sound amazing on my HP (I don't have Beats Audio on there), but on my HTC One V (a discontinued phone from Virgin Mobile) (which has Beats Audio) it sounds horrible. My Logitech UE 4000 sounds muddy and weird on my HP but sound exceptional on my HTC. Most of my earbuds sound better equally on the HP and the HTC.

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #14 of 19
I have an iPod nano 6th gen and an HP Pavilion laptop, and I find it difficult to determine which one sounds better. However, my old Dell Dimension 2400 desktop has awful onboard audio. (Most of it is outdated anyway, though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back