headphones in general healthy????
Jul 23, 2006 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

astranovus

100+ Head-Fier
this might be a weird question,

but is it not unhealthy to have a strong magnet field near ones ear all the time (as in drivers)

i'm just interested whether anybody knows , whether this could be potentially harmful, if one uses headphones for years and years for sustained periods of times during a day

Jul 23, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 10
I seriously doubt that cans magnets have strong field(crain to pick up wrecked cars has strong magnetic filed).
And I dont think that magnetic field can cause damage even after years of using headphones, its not the same as EM field from mobile phones etc...

But If u dot like this idea anyway- get yourself a pair of some electrostatics
eggosmile.gif
there should not be magnets AFAIK.

Jul 23, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 10
I would be more concerned with cellular use than headphones personally.

Jul 23, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
I would be more concerned with cellular use than headphones personally.

And breathing too, in many places. Being alive is awfully dangerous and will by all means come to a deadly end. I feel cheated.

Jul 23, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 10
I will add that listening at loud volumes would be a major concern as far as headphones go.

Jul 23, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

I will add that listening at loud volumes would be a major concern as far as headphones go.

Ditto.

Headphones have very weak magnetic fields (since the voice coil is right at the magnet, it doesn't have to be a field that spreads over great distances.

Now, if we were talking about a 15T field inside your head, then yea..... you could start to create magnetic dipole moments inside your body and that might make you dizzy (thus why its not a good idea to move around inside a MRI machine when its on.

And for those who commented on cell phones. Those are not "really" pure magnetic fields as a headphone magnet creates, they are EM waves (quite different). Now those have been proven to cause brain damage.

Jul 23, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7

And for those who commented on cell phones. Those are not "really" pure magnetic fields as a headphone magnet creates, they are EM waves (quite different). Now those have been proven to cause brain damage.

I was just commenting about the damage cell phones can cause, not that they are generators of magnetic energy.

Jul 23, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

I was just commenting about the damage cell phones can cause, not that they are generators of magnetic energy.

Opps, my mistake
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Opps, my mistake
biggrin.gif

Actually my mistake. All my cell phone usage has created a tumor.
etysmile.gif

Jul 23, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

LOL! I've suspected for a long time that cell phone use would cause brain damage... or was it the other way around?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back