headphones in dorms
Apr 17, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #16 of 21
I have a pair of 555's in my dorm and my room mate can't even hear them. I do, however, keep a pair of HD 201's and a pair of Shure E3C's on hand for when he turns the tv up too loud. It can't be a bad idea to have a pair for isolation purposes only.

Apr 17, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by retic3nt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any suggestions for a ~$100 (or less) closed circumaural phones? Right now I'm thinking a pair of a500's should do the trick. They should have enough isolation to block most annoying outside noise right?

Most people look kinda silly with the A500... You might try the Sony V6 (more supraural though) if you're conscious of those type of things...

I'll go for IEMs if I were you though. IEMs are really usefulfor working out, studying, and blocking out noises in general. When I lived in a dorm, I'm usually only in my room to sleep and thus the portability of IEMs was really a big plus.

Apr 17, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #19 of 21
I was using my sr-60's for a while with my roomies in the room. They didn't care because they had their own music going. One of the reasons I upgraded to closed cans wasn't because of pleasing them, but I wanted to block out the noise they made. dt770's do a much better job at isolating me then the sr60's obviously. Nothing worse then trying to listen to music with the tv on right next to me leaking sound in.

Apr 17, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #20 of 21
I'd definitely go for closed headphones or IEM's, especially if you're staying in one of those three-people-in-a-closet type of dorms they showed us when I toured UCLA a few years ago. Heck, I had a studio apartment, and still needed IEM's to block out the A/C, roommate's TV, and/or fire truck sirens (thanks USC!)

Apr 17, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #21 of 21
Don't worry about annoying your roommates if there's an set of open cans you want, they're going to be making plenty of noise themselves. My roommate has been doing a number on a click pen the past two hours and watches the TV all the time (even when I try to.. he just cranks his up louder).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back