Headphones in Canada
Mar 22, 2009 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

pros1n

New Head-Fier
I have been surfing the web for headphones like the JVC HA-RX900 and the Koss KSC75, but I have come to a point where I think Canada is too limited from good products. Are there any websites or local stores that sells Headphones such as the JVC HA-RX900? Answers are much appreciated
atsmile.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 12
BayBloorRadio (overrpiced)
Canada Computers (limited selection)
Crutchfield Canada (somewhat limited)
Long & Mcquades (they' have a good selection)
Steve's Music (also pretty good)
Ebay and other auction sites
There are lots of local hifi stores riddled around Canada... prices are not fun though.

Mar 22, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #4 of 12
Mar 22, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by stand_1998 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the selection in Canada to be very limited, or quite expensive.

THIS. Also, sorry about your wallet, dude.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #9 of 12
As with many things, it's typically just cheaper to order them internationally. Unfortunately our dollar's not doing too well and sometimes it's making it pretty painful.

Mar 22, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #10 of 12
Indeed finding a retailer in Canada, either brick and mortar or online, is not easy. Also expect a limited selection and higher prices. It often pays (and quite a bit) to imports

I had the best luck with musical instrument stores and the prices were reasonable, not as good as what you see in the US, but still OK. I found mostly AKG's, Senns and some Beyer's. As for assistance, I have been on my own because there were no knowledgeable sales person and they are not setup for listening. The yellow pages is a good start.

The discounters are the worst. No sales expertise available, never the good models (just the crappy ones) and no return policies. I just hate them.

The specialty audio stores have little interest in headphones. If they have any, expect to pay near MSRP. One of them confess that there are not enough money for them. At least they will likely be honest.

The Sony Store will sell the MDR7506 but at MSRPm witch is way overpriced.

Unlike my other components that were acquired from canadian sources, most of my headphones have been imported. There are no canadian manufacturer and if retailers and distributed have so little interests, why should I care. I refused to pay the extravagant premium the Stax importer is charging. Headphones are light to ship and will often skip customs.

In my current stash, my Stax setup came from Japan when it was possible to get the proper voltage and the Sony MDR 7506 from US. Only the AKG K501, K240S and K26 were bought in Canada from musical store. All the others I no longer own like Grado's, Senn's, AT's and Denon's came from US or Japan.

Mar 22, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #11 of 12
Selection in Canada is very limited, and because of the economy/money conversion rate, quite expensive too. I bought Denon D1001's for $180 w/ tax at bay bloor radio. It was $90 USD on headroom, but with the $30 USD shipping and duties on top of that, it came out to about the same price in CAD. I figured that I might as well just buy it at bay bloor radio and help out the Canadian economy. My wallet is crying, but the Denon's are great and well worth the money!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back