Headphones in Bangkok?
Jul 9, 2003 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

psy_jc

Head-Fier
Could anyone suggest a place to look for headphones in Bangkok? I know that there are already a few posts about this, but most of them seem to be outdated or don't have enough information. I'm not looking for the top-class, most expensive phones. I'm just looking for decent sounding phones in the $50 range. Surely there must be a member familiar or even living in Bangkok right? Heck, you've even got a member living in Bangladesh (me)!

Jul 9, 2003 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 14
psy_jc,

I have exactly the same sort of problem and I live in London, England! It's a nightmare to find a quality shop in England for headphones. I'm going to be picking up my Ety-4p's abroad to get a good price!

Entropic

Jul 9, 2003 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 14
Same here, I get all my gears from overseas! Head-fi is a god sent......
etysmile.gif

Jul 9, 2003 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 14
If I were still in Korea, where I'm originally from, then I wouldn't have any problems with finding headphones. Believe it or not, you can find anything from Sony to Koss to Sennheiser to Beyerdynamics in Korea. Heck, only if I wasn't stuck in Bangladesh I'd probably have a collection of headphones by now
mad.gif
!!!

Is there really no one who can help me out with this? If I don't get my phones at Bangkok next week, I'll have to wait until next summer to get them
frown.gif

PLEASE HELP!!!

Jul 10, 2003 at 6:40 AM Post #6 of 14
I wish I could purchase them online... But I can't, unless I chose to get them shipped by DHL or FedEx. The postal system here seems to be very vunerable to lost shipments. It's already happened twice for me.

Quote:

just order online.

Jul 10, 2003 at 7:06 AM Post #8 of 14
Get them in Singapore, Singapore is just 45 minutes flight from Bangkok. You can find almost all good headphone brands (Senns/Koss/Beyer/AKG/Sony/AT/Ultrasone/Phillips))here with Sony being the biggest retailer. Check out Sim Lim Square or The Adelphi, you won't want to go home...heheh.

Jul 10, 2003 at 3:53 PM Post #9 of 14
Jul 11, 2003 at 5:57 AM Post #11 of 14
psy,

I'm originally from Bangkok area and finding a pair of high quality headphone is tough. In have never seen Sony MDR-V6, or Grado SR-80 in person, let alone the CD3K or HD-600. I remember reading a highend audio magazine (In thai language), and Grado-SR-60 is pretty expensive, 150 dollars or more. So the average price is probably 1.5 or 2 times more expensive than in U.S.A. due to high tax.

In additional to that, Thai people only care about earbuds, and most of the decent models can be found in "MBK center" or Sony Universe, in the "The Mall" shopping center. Sony MDR-E888 costs around 60 to 70 dollars. The EX-70Lp seem to be less reasonable at 50-60 dollars.

However, if you are looking for a good price Discmans, MBK center is the place. I bought Panasonic SL-CT800 for a little over 110 dollars w/ all accessories. Look around and see for yourself. Be advice to always bargains for products, and don't forget to double check the sound quality. There are many copy earphones in MBK center. So be careful!

Purk

Jul 11, 2003 at 6:04 AM Post #12 of 14
Thanks a lot Purk!
I was planning on getting either the Panasonic SL-CT800 or the 700 as well. How much did you pay for the 800 in Bhats? Also, are Philips headphones and Aiwa earbuds easy to come across (since I'm planning on getting one of each)?

Jul 11, 2003 at 6:18 AM Post #13 of 14
I bought the CT-800 for around 5400 bahts, not bad. You need to bargain the price down, so remember to do so! Aiwa no longer have any high quality earbuds. You probably can find several model, but I doubt that you will be impressed. Sony MDR-E888 is probably the best earphones/headphones in the market, since no high quality headphones are available. Like I previously mentioned, no Grado, no Senn, and no highend Sony.. so no hope for big pair of headphones. Thai people have moderate/low income, and spending a pair of 10,000 bahts for headphones are extremely unreasonable. I would look into getting the Discman/MP3 player. MD equipments are very high priced. So, you will be safer w/ Discmans. Oh, lots and lots of highend walkman (Sony or Aiwa) can be found in MBK and Sa-pan-lek region. You can find super nice walkman for 100 dollars.

Purk
p.s.

I saw some phillip earbuds before but had no interested in them. I don't think they will be better than the E888. You should look at www.bluetin.com and order headphones from them. They locate in Singapore, and Sony MDR-E888 is only 45 dollars shipped.

Jul 11, 2003 at 6:19 AM Post #14 of 14
You can find lots and lots of accessories. Sony MD battery (gumstick) is only 4 or 5 dollars (250 to 500 bahts). You can also find lots and lots of wired remote and groove style earbuds.

Purk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back