Headphones / IEMs worth the cheddar...
Jan 17, 2023 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Mllump

New Head-Fier
I thought this might be fun, helpful, and informative. What are the FIVE headphones / IEMs that you felt were worth every dime you spent. Given that many of us try things used, that's fine. List the price you paid(ish) and a brief description of why it was worth it. Just to get us started (these aren't ranked except for $$$ spent):

1) Sundara: For the $239 I paid, it bested most everything up to about $500. At least referring to the more updated version.

2) Shure SRH1540: I have to mention this one because it was my first nice headphone years ago. I actually got them for $250 when they first came out. The bass is a little messy, but for closed back, I would still recommend this under $500. Yeah, Elegia is nice enough (I've owned it 3 times), but I always have to EQ and that dang Focal metallic sound just gets in my head and I can't un-hear it.

3) Meze 109 Pro: To be had for about $650-750 depending, I just haven't enjoyed anything as much under $1500. Sure, there are some niggles in the treble and separation isn't the greatest, but to get enough technicalities with great soundstage and impeccable comfort, it is just an incredibly pleasing headphone. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this bit while saving up for something that's more of a leap.

4) LCD-X (2021): I got these for $895 open box. If you want better technicalities than the 109, the timbre is great on these. Still, the comfort isn't as great, so if saving, I'd probably skip this if I had the 109's and wait on another.

5) 64Audio U12t: I paid $1500 for these open box from headphones.com and have never once felt like I spent too much. They are the best sounding things I've ever shoved in my ears. They best most every headphone I've listened to. To me, they're better than Stellia, Liric, and anything else high end closed back. They are comfortable, can pair with more inexpensive dongles (great with both Questyle m15 and Gryphon). For me, and for several I know, if you're looking for a wonderful 1-2 punch, and need both open and closed back, I'd consider this IEM for the closed option (super flexible for mobility). I've lived with this as my only kit for a long time and never regretted it, though I still add an open back on occasion.

Alright, so I'm probably too wordy, but maybe this will help some brothers out at beginning and mid-level stages. But hey, don't hesitate to throw the much higher priced options out there. I'm just trying to stay a bit more accessible to the masses. I mean, how many of us never thought we'd spend "that much" on a piece of gear only to realize you have to take some big $$$ leaps to get significant improvement in sound.

Jan 17, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 6
I thought this might be fun, helpful, and informative. What are the FIVE headphones / IEMs that you felt were worth every dime you spent. Given that many of us try things used, that's fine. List the price you paid(ish) and a brief description of why it was worth it. Just to get us started (these aren't ranked except for $$$ spent):

1) Sundara: For the $239 I paid, it bested most everything up to about $500. At least referring to the more updated version.

2) Shure SRH1540: I have to mention this one because it was my first nice headphone years ago. I actually got them for $250 when they first came out. The bass is a little messy, but for closed back, I would still recommend this under $500. Yeah, Elegia is nice enough (I've owned it 3 times), but I always have to EQ and that dang Focal metallic sound just gets in my head and I can't un-hear it.

3) Meze 109 Pro: To be had for about $650-750 depending, I just haven't enjoyed anything as much under $1500. Sure, there are some niggles in the treble and separation isn't the greatest, but to get enough technicalities with great soundstage and impeccable comfort, it is just an incredibly pleasing headphone. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this bit while saving up for something that's more of a leap.

4) LCD-X (2021): I got these for $895 open box. If you want better technicalities than the 109, the timbre is great on these. Still, the comfort isn't as great, so if saving, I'd probably skip this if I had the 109's and wait on another.

5) 64Audio U12t: I paid $1500 for these open box from headphones.com and have never once felt like I spent too much. They are the best sounding things I've ever shoved in my ears. They best most every headphone I've listened to. To me, they're better than Stellia, Liric, and anything else high end closed back. They are comfortable, can pair with more inexpensive dongles (great with both Questyle m15 and Gryphon). For me, and for several I know, if you're looking for a wonderful 1-2 punch, and need both open and closed back, I'd consider this IEM for the closed option (super flexible for mobility). I've lived with this as my only kit for a long time and never regretted it, though I still add an open back on occasion.

Alright, so I'm probably too wordy, but maybe this will help some brothers out at beginning and mid-level stages. But hey, don't hesitate to throw the much higher priced options out there. I'm just trying to stay a bit more accessible to the masses. I mean, how many of us never thought we'd spend "that much" on a piece of gear only to realize you have to take some big $$$ leaps to get significant improvement in sound.
Nice write up,

I just got into the hobby recently, about a year ago and I am not really knowledgeable about the technicalities but i do know what i want.

So after buying a few stuff i can share some thoughts.

1. ATH-R70x - Audio-Technica

I started with these because of their sound-stage and warmish tuning, plus they are super light which fits my very anti-clamping head, They sound great but I never did feel like I got the most out of it even with a DAC/AMP.

2. THIEAUDIO Monarch MKII

Decided all bigger headphones are just too heavy for me at this point, and got myself the best IEM for the money according to a certain website xD. I love these ones they showed me what midrange actually is. Bass is lacking but we fixed that with the next purchase. I am treble deaf let's say so I can't comment much on it xD.

3. Sony IER-Z1R

This is where I had the complete opposite experience to the Monarchs. Bass that hits harder than some headphones and such openness to them for an IEM, just a surreal experience. These i think are unmatched in a few aspects, but their midrange really is lacking. But i had the perfect combo at this point.

4. ÆON 2 Noire - Dan Clark Audio

For some reason i had this unrealized headphone purchase, and after reading reviews i couldn't say no to a good deal on a pair of closebacks, and funnily enough they are by god ****ing perfect. I don't know what it is about them comfort, tuning, but whatever it is it's almost perfect for my taste.

5. Empire Ears Odin

While already having almost a perfect setup, changing between the 2 IEMS to suit different genres did get annoying after a while. Then i decided to trade up and buy something that covers them both. And it does it's job. I wouldn't recommend spending the full 3.3k on them, specifically because of the cable, but i will say they have something so pleasing in their sound that just makes me not want to take them off. Bass is just right, while midrange sounds forward, which suits me.

My take from all of this is i do spent a lot of money, and also there is definitely diminishing returns on some stuff.

Also different different sources really don't matter that much, especially if you just stream some stuff.

Jan 17, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 6
For me it goes,
Abyss AB-1266 OG‘s I paid $2000 late 2017 and still have them and still love them they still rock it for me.
HiFiMan HE-500’s paid don't quite remember but got them late 2016 and still think one of the best headphones under $1K .
Sennheiser HD-800 again can’t remember what I paid but think it was around $700 in 2018. Just a very very good headphone.
ZMF Atrium Cocobolo paid $2700 just gorgeous as sound that way as well.
Abyss Diana TC paid $4495 and just dropped $260 for new bass ported pads and so worth it. These get most of the head time lately but still switch out quite often.
Honorable mention is the Koss Porta Pro’s at like $40 just one of the best tuned headphones.

Jan 18, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 6
1. Koss KSC75/X ($18-25): lightweight, comfortable, cheap, uniquely tuned, and portable. Simple construction with removable pads and hooks allowing for many mods to happen. Definitely the "starter" headphone for people who want into the headphone world. Downsides: Unmodded durability, slightly subpar soundstage, and detail perception.

2. Etymotic ER2SE ($50): clears (some) earwax, unique insertion experience, unique tuning, and it blocks out more noise than some ANC equipment. Downsides: Narrow stage width and depth, insertion/removal time and effort, and pricey (relative to price) cable to find aftermarket.

3. Soundpeats Truefree 2 ($22): IPX7, so it gets daily use when exercising and showering. Support fins provide excellent stability. Fairly natural tuning with excessive bass. But, who wouldn't want that when trying to be active? Downsides: Extremely narrow stage width and depth and subpar detail.

4. Koss KPH30i ($20): similar sound to the Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee tonally but lighter, has suspension system, on-ear "D" shape, and the beige looks totally awesome. Downsides: similar sound to the Sennheiser HD58X but noticeably less detail plus soundstage and unmodded durability.

5. Sennheiser HD6XX ($200): great tuning, a franken-phone (ability to take the headphone apart), durable, anti-hotspot headband design, and actively referenced or talked about on forums AKA popular. Downsides: non-exciting sound, average soundstage and imaging.

Jan 18, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 6
1. Sennheiser HD599 - first headphone I bought with my own money. I still listen to them after almost seven years.
2. Sennheiser HD660S - I listen to them almost every day, when listening music on speakers is not possible anymore due to late nigh hours.
3. Sennheiser HD800S - I go to these HPs pretty often because they are the closest to the speaker sound I could find, until now that is.
4. FiiO FH3 - using them daily on the road to work and back, sometimes in the office too.

I know, these are a lot of Sennheisers, but what can I do? :sleepy:

In between I got all kind of HPs/IEMs from AT, Audeze, Focal, Hifiman, Campfire but they all went away for one reason or another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back