Headphones... Help!
Nov 28, 2011 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lDeadmau5

New Head-Fier
I apologize if i sound like I am just posting another thread that has been covered, but i have searched around here. I am the son of a massive audiophile, and i too appreciate good music. I am searching for my first pair of really good headphones. I will be listening mostly electronic (aka deadmau5) and a little rap (i know, im ignorant) Ive looked around (here and other places) and the Sennheiser HD595s seem to be in the right price range, however ive heard that they lack the low end. I want a headphone for around more or less the HD595s, but better suited for my music, but not a headphone that is colored for low end, i want, if possible, an uncolored true to track  pair of headphones.
PS they can be amped or unamped

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 8
EASY...  beats by Dr. Dre  :wink:

I would look at the Audio Technica M50 and spend the leftover on an amp.  If portable, look at the JDS Labs CMOY...

Nov 29, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #3 of 8
Sennheiser HD-558
Go to Electronic Expo website use the coupon code "BOUNTII"

Nov 29, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 8
Fischer FA-003. Relatively neutral frequency response, but still fun to listen to, and the low end is not lacking. The Shure SRH-840 might also be good for you.

I'm curious - why don't you want a headphone colored towards the low end, if you mostly listen to hip hop and electronic? It would make the music a lot more engaging.

Nov 29, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for the replies so quickly! Regarding macrocheesium's question about me not wanting colored headphones, im afraid of the dre beats syndrome. Im afraid that if i buy a pair of headphones colored to the low end, then i am going to just hear bass and low end, and miss out on the mid and high range. There is a whole lot of base and low end in electronic, but there is also lots of mids and highs. I like deadmau5 because he is not just about bass, his songs have lots of mids and highs to appreciate as well. Im a novice here, so i dont know whether low end colored headphones will get the full range of the music.

Nov 29, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 8
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros are comporable or cheaper than Senn 595s and might be your best bet. They're "true to track" enough -- not perfect but they won't necessarily steer you way wrong. They have the best bass response in the price range BY FAR in my opinion. 400-700 range mids are a bit dipped but it's not a drag.

Look into em, you can find great deals around .... but read up on them first. I have a pair and I think if I was doing what you were doing, I'd use them pretty much exclusively.

I should mention, I'm speaking for the 250 ohm model. There are two other ohmages which I cannot speak for or against.

Nov 29, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
im afraid of the dre beats syndrome. Im afraid that if i buy a pair of headphones colored to the low end, then i am going to just hear bass and low end, and miss out on the mid and high range. There is a whole lot of base and low end in electronic, but there is also lots of mids and highs. I like deadmau5 because he is not just about bass, his songs have lots of mids and highs to appreciate as well. Im a novice here, so i dont know whether low end colored headphones will get the full range of the music.

You don't need to be worried, any decent quality headphone will get you the full range, even ones that emphasize lows. You really need to sample one before making that decision; I'm almost 100% positive you would like the sound of your genres better.
Beats are a COMPLETELY different story than the headphones you will find recommended here. They are over-marketed crap and definitely do muddy up the sound. Again, good cans like Ultrasones or Beyer DT770's won't do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back