headphones for Xbox 360/PS3
Apr 26, 2007 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

viction

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for headphones to use when playing on my Xbox360 and PS3. It will be used strictly for these gaming consoles.

I originally wanted open headphones so I can hear the doorbell, phone, etc, but searching the forums the gaming headphones recommended were all closed (A900 and DT770). HD-555's are open but how do they compare? I see most people here prefer closed so I'm leaning towards that direction. I use some cheap Logitech open headphones right now on my PC and have never experienced a nice set.

I read a post on this forum saying that the Xbox360 only sounds good on 5.1 and any stereo headphones will not sound good. Any truth to this? How about on the PS3?

Apr 26, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 19
If isolation isn't an issue, the HD 555's would actually be perfect since they won't get as hot over extended periods of time.

Stereo headphones should be more than sufficient to use with either console. I'm not sure how good the outputs are on either though, you may want to consider an deicated amp (though this may be overkill for what you are looking to do), or running the audio through a home reciever to your headphone jack.

Apr 26, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 19
heh, I sold my 360 so I could buy headphones
tongue.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 19
Xenonphos, I don't know if I could do that...
smily_headphones1.gif

btw, I'm completely new to headphones...

Upangel, am I giving up any sound if I go open? Both consoles are ran digital optical into my receiver. I don't mind buying an amp, but is it neccessary? Will there be a big difference in sound? I was browsing through the AMP section of the forum and those suckers are expensive. I have a Cary tube amp/pre-amp set with B&W's so I do enjoy good sounds, but is there a significant difference for gaming?

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 19
well I sold it because I guess I just got bored of it. all I had was oblivion, lost planet and halo 2. Oh and I just couldn't stand all of the jerks on live.

Back on topic, I would get an amp if your planning to listen to music with them too. If its just for games, I don't think one would be that necessary

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 19
A700 or A900, DT770 or DT880, maybe AKG K81DJ

Apr 28, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #8 of 19
I'm going to take the plunge and buy the A900's. Where is a reliable and cheap place to purchase them at? Is there a specific version?

I will be running these off of my receiver since forum members are saying that they don't need to be amp'd and I don't think it will make a big difference for games.

BTW, anyone know anything about Pioneer's SE-DIR2000C? Its a wireless set with not much information on it...

Apr 28, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by viction /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to take the plunge and buy the A900's. Where is a reliable and cheap place to purchase them at? Is there a specific version?

I will be running these off of my receiver since forum members are saying that they don't need to be amp'd and I don't think it will make a big difference for games.

BTW, anyone know anything about Pioneer's SE-DIR2000C? Its a wireless set with not much information on it...

I would buy the A900s at http://www.audiocubes.com or on the FS forums on head-fi. There is no specific version, although make sure you do not pick up the open version of the A900s, the AD900.

Apr 28, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #10 of 19
Some Proline. Now Xbox 360 is not the best source but it´s not all crap either. maybe the Proline 650 is the sweetspot?`

DT 770 and A900 both works fine with it.

As for closed vs open the Xbox 360 is freaking loud if you aren´t lucky to get the newest version which has a better DVD drive. For that reason I would recommend closed. Otherwise you have the HFI-2200 and Dt 900.

Apr 28, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some Proline. Now Xbox 360 is not the best source but it´s not all crap either. maybe the Proline 650 is the sweetspot?`

just buy a dac/amp combo. not too big a problem.

Apr 28, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #12 of 19
hurts your wallet doesn´t it
wink.gif
. I do run an amp and I do run the Xbox 360 through my Elite PRO actually. But seriously it´s overkill...

Apr 28, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

I'm looking for headphones to use when playing on my Xbox360 and PS3. It will be used strictly for these gaming consoles.

I originally wanted open headphones so I can hear the doorbell, phone, etc, but searching the forums the gaming headphones recommended were all closed (A900 and DT770). HD-555's are open but how do they compare? I see most people here prefer closed so I'm leaning towards that direction. I use some cheap Logitech open headphones right now on my PC and have never experienced a nice set.

I read a post on this forum saying that the Xbox360 only sounds good on 5.1 and any stereo headphones will not sound good. Any truth to this?
How about on the PS3?

The person who made that statement has never listened to a quality headphone .I'd avoid the xbox forums.. They recommend sub par 5.1 headphones over stereo headphones cause they don't know any better. Cause as long as it's 5.1 it MUST be better then stereo headphones. I used to believe that too till I became educated. All 360 games are optimized for 5.1, so IMO it does take away from the 2 channel experience.. Although with my balanced set up it still sounds fantastic, but not as good as Music/Movies..
The 595's/555 AT900/ DT770.. Are all recommended..
I still feel the best gaming Dynamic can would be the AKG 1000.. Huge sound stage & ultra detailed.. Great for FPSers.. I think the Sony SA5000 are good gaming headphones for serious competition, but not the most fun..

Apr 28, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Myth number 500.. All headphones sound better when properly amped.. I'm sure you could tell a big difference listening to your A9000 through your receiver & the Opera or Single power Slam.. It does make a difference for games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back